Accounts e-mail HP

The Granary-Trick

Smallpox vs. largepox, early war vs. peaceful alliances... the AI is too tame? Discuss the best strategies!

The Granary-Trick

Postby pekka » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Many players may have heard the expression "The Granary-Trick" beeing used in chat. Here come an explanation of the magic.
If you want all your cities to become size 8 cities very fast, before turn 50, then you need to know about celebrating. But to celebrate, you need size 3 cities. So the cruical point is to make size 3 cities as fast as possible. This means that if you get a granary in a city just before it grow to size 2, then that city will save 15 food. With 15 food saved by granary, that city will use much shorter time to grow to size 3. But you dont need granary to store food. A granary only reduce food-loss when a city grow, thus it is safe to sell granray. Selling granary will yield 40 gold and save 1 gold pr turn in cost. Basicly selling granary is wise, because you free up gold to finance other purposes, and save cost pr turn. And you really dont need it any more, if you are growing your cities by celebration.

pekka
pekka

Re: The Granary-Trick

Postby marioxcc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:40 am

Thanks for the advice. I think than it's noteworthy than the cities grow by rapture, which is the combination of celebration, at least 1 food surplus and republic or democracy. Celebrating under other conditions don't has this effect.

Regards.
marioxcc

Postby Corbeau » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:25 am

But only outside the civ2civ3 ruleset, right?
Corbeau

Postby morphles » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:56 am

Only in retarded rulesets that have rapture to be precise. IMO civ2civ3 has much nicer city growth, and existence of rapture practicaly forces you into republic or dem (thus reducing variety). Only good thing that comes from rapture is that it forces you to devert some taxes & resources to happines, which makes game a bit more varied, but there are better ways to force that.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Major Nimrod » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:08 pm

I disagree. It's been a while since I've played a "regular" game with actual rapture, and it's a setting that I miss in our GT games. Some argue that it's abused. An experienced player knows how to handle it properly, and those that don't - well, they have to learn ;)

In all seriousness, there is an other setting that is often over-looked with Granaries. That's the effect of Negative city growth. When a city *decreases* in size, it will also have 1/2 of the size of the total granary available (instead of zero food stored). Of course, that's outside of the Civ2Civ3 ruleset (which only grants 10 food out of either 30 or 40).

The reason I mention this is because of a strategy where ALL resources are dedicated to MAXIMUM science to quickly gain techs, at the detriment of city growth. I've seen this used by Stee and others, and it's quite effective. But you need the granary for this strategy, otherwise you can't sustain it for long. Therefore, selling the granary seems logical at first. But taking this strategy into account, if you decide to pursue it then you'll need a granary in those cities that are decreasing in order to maximize the amount of time you can research techs.
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Return to Gameplay