Accounts e-mail HP

Icons on units

Smallpox vs. largepox, early war vs. peaceful alliances... the AI is too tame? Discuss the best strategies!

Icons on units

Postby chomwitt » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 pm

On units there are icons shaped like hearts , wave , hearts with orange color etc.
What do they mean?
Are somewhare documented?
chomwitt

Re: Icons on units

Postby Davide » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:07 pm

I've never seen them publicly documented. However, here they are:
Attachments
fortified.gif
Fortified
fortified.gif (3.04 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
road_link.gif
Road link
road_link.gif (2.76 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
road.gif
Road
road.gif (2.87 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
mine.gif
Mine
mine.gif (2.58 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
irrigate.gif
Irrigate
irrigate.gif (2.69 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
go.gif
Go
go.gif (2.97 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
fortify.gif
Fortify
fortify.gif (2.85 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
explore.gif
Explore
explore.gif (3.14 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
autosettle.gif
Autosettle
autosettle.gif (2.91 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
Davide

Postby chomwitt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:10 pm

What about those ones:

settler3.png
settler3.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 5704 times

settler2.png
settler2.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 5704 times

settler1.png
settler1.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 5704 times
chomwitt

Postby ifaesfu » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Now I know what you are talking about. Those "icons" are related to the veteran levels of the units (veteran, veteran1, elite,...)
ifaesfu

Postby Davide » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:41 pm

The shield with a red cross is a terrain bonus (+1 production) and is unrelated with the unit.
The yellow / orange "hearts" closer to the unit are the military rank. Some rulesets also apply this rank to civilian units, such as workers, to differentiate their abilities (attack strength or work speed).
Davide

Postby monamipierrot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:17 am

I can't recall when, but at some time in LongTurn it has been decided to add much more veteran levels to units, 9 or 10 if I can remember well. Never actually understood the graphical criteria, but you're right, sometimes it could looks like a heart!
For some reason this settings survived and AFAICR no one questioned it.
Here I come.
IMHO these 10 levels of veteranship are one of those *complications* freeciv doesn't need, and it should abhor.
As a great fun of the KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple, Stupid!), I could write a list of features we shouldn't really want and which could easily replaced with a better solution, if they are a solution to something, which they sometimes are NOT.
I'l give you only some of them: Academy building, pre-fortress, and many if not all the small wonders.
About 10 veteran levels, I really don't know what are they needed for. It is not worse, but also it is not *better* than before. Thus, it has no reason to exist.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby ifaesfu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:33 am

Yes, there are more levels now. I think it was tested in ltex23 and lt30 was the first game with so many levels.
It's a good variable because it makes the management of the workers more interesting. You should order the hardest tasks to the most veteran workers. Also they need much more protection.
ifaesfu

Postby monamipierrot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 am

ifaesfu wrote:It's a good variable because it makes the management of the workers more interesting.

Yes, I also use to tandem 2+ weak workers for a hard work, to make sure no working point is wasted. But I always have to calculate. Calculate calculate calcultae. When it comes to these levels of micromanagement it is NOT fun. It's "the most time you stay with your eyes on the monitor, the most you gain", no matter how smart you are.
There are many other features which would make us *think* at a tactical and strategical level, which are just not implemented, expecially in the military/logistical.
What about a distinction between wheels, mounted and infantry regarding terrain movement?
What about giving those rivers a function which is not a "already existing road"?
These would be features which would allow COMPLEX tacticts and strategies without COMPLICATING calculations and micromanagements.
IMHO even vanilla Civ1 features are just complications, or are to be addressed with a critical attitude: e.g. rapture, traderoutes and all those features which depart too much from plain realism and add unbalanced variables to game.
By the economical point of view, a serious Economic/Commerce features add-on would benefit a lot Freeciv and the LT/GT universe.
Beginning with the Civ3 limited special resources would be a great beginning.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby kevin55I » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:58 pm

In FreeCiv 2.3 the limit was 10 veterancy levels and the icon shown for level 10 was a star. In LT32 quite a few players achieved 'star workers' but only one player managed to get a military star. Competing to get that first star added to the fun on our team.

FreeCiv 2.4 has 20 veteran levels which I think is too high. The star is reserved for level 20. I am looking at ways to retain the star icon for level 10 in games that only have 10.
kevin55I

Postby marioxcc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:11 pm

chomwitt wrote:What about those ones:

settler3.png

settler2.png

settler1.png

Those are not hearts but chevrons, in reference to them being elements in military ranks badges (I don't know if they're really called like that).
marioxcc

Return to Gameplay