Accounts e-mail HP

AI needs quite a bit of work

Smallpox vs. largepox, early war vs. peaceful alliances... the AI is too tame? Discuss the best strategies!

Postby Guestblah » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:29 pm

I was gonna write some crazy rant here. But I'll be nice on the count that this genre of games is so rare and something I love.

This game and it's AI needs work, badly.

I'm at 1600ish AD, and fighting for my life against 4 AI's that have allied against me (for no discernable reason) and half of them are at the genocidal level.

On Novice difficulty.
Guestblah

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:44 pm

AI is a big complex machine in freeciv and, i know, it has its problems.
You can think of AI as a great opportunity to learn yourself the mechanics of the game, exercising privately. When you reach the point to own the main rules, jump to the online multiplayer.

AI's will always get against you. To ease it even more you can get some players off.

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:51 pm

An AI that played according to the same game mechanic rules (no cheating) would be nice

Re: AI needs quite a bit of work

Postby guest001 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:47 pm

I remember that freeciv version 1.x had good AI.
guest001

Postby Davide » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:19 pm

guest001 wrote:I remember that freeciv version 1.x had good AI.

Over the time AI's code has always improved with insertion of new features and bug fixes. Also, Freeciv AI is considered one of the most advanced in "board" strategy games. Still, experienced players find it definitely too weak, but as the multiplayer community is in a growing stage and there are players online for a good part of the day, we can match against living and intelligent creatures which can be extremely more competitive and enjoyable that AIs.
Davide

Postby guest001 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:09 pm

I played yesterday, AIs set to novice. I like tooooo much Freeciv. Why Ai's cities can grow more then 1 increment in a single turn when under attack? I counted more then 5 increments in that single turn!!! In the past I played much to freeciv vers. 1.x and the change of AI difficult worked very well. Now, I guess there is some problem.
guest001

Postby Davide » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:49 pm

guest001 wrote:I played yesterday, AIs set to novice. I like tooooo much Freeciv. Why Ai's cities can grow more then 1 increment in a single turn when under attack? I counted more then 5 increments in that single turn!!! In the past I played much to freeciv vers. 1.x and the change of AI difficult worked very well. Now, I guess there is some problem.

In fact this shouldn't happen, but it's hard to do any investigation without having any actual data. If you still have the save files, you can open a bug ticket at Gna.
Davide

Postby guest001 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:03 am

Davide wrote:In fact this shouldn't happen, but it's hard to do any investigation without having any actual data. If you still have the save files, you can open a bug ticket at Gna.

Actually I don't have any file. I hope to save some later.
guest001

Postby guest001 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 am

Now I'm playing freeciv version 2.1.11 and AI's work better compared to last version I played.
I'm going to try freeciv version 2.0.8 soon. I remember that this version is the good one.
guest001

Return to Gameplay