Accounts e-mail HP

Wonderless games?

Smallpox vs. largepox, early war vs. peaceful alliances... the AI is too tame? Discuss the best strategies!

Wonderless games?

Postby morphles » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:19 am

Yesterday I was wondering how a game without wonders would play.

Sure wonders are quite cool and stuff. They basically give your civilzation some special trait - making you more unique, give you some bigger goals.

On the other hand... Sometimes I get cheesy play vibe from them. Things like wonder rush, and two players gettin all shields for same wonder on same turn, but only one of them gets it. That can be quite a setback for player that didn't get it. Also it might be interesting to play without those special powers and see how people can fare by only utilizing regular stuff.

One possibly serious problem with that would be that removing wonders could significantly change technology ballance, though maybe that wouldn't be so big or so bad.

What are your thoughs?
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Re: Wonderless games?

Postby Major Nimrod » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:13 pm

There are rulesets that allow for so called "Big Wonders" and "Small Wonders". For example, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Multiplayer ruleset has this option by default. Every wonder except for Apollo Space Program and Manhatten Project are Small Wonders. And every player can build Small Wonders, to a limit of one per civilization. So for example every player could build a Darwin's Expedition and gain the bonus. Can't remember which GT had this already... was it GT05 ?
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Re: Wonderless games?

Postby morphles » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Cool, and kinda makes sense. Cause pyramids i.e. were all over the place. Would be interesting to try.

Still completely wonderless games would be different from that too and also interesting.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Return to Gameplay