Accounts e-mail HP

Enemy allied with 2 best allies

Smallpox vs. largepox, early war vs. peaceful alliances... the AI is too tame? Discuss the best strategies!

Postby DynV » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:44 pm

I don't know what to do... *sigh* Since early on I made an ally which became very good IMO then I made another which is good. For many turns us 3 were synchronized with our enemy list (and I made plenty money off their back selling them technologies plus they sent troops beyond my border so I didn't have to make aggressive units).

This changed some turns back when a nation I discovered a short time before declared war against me, my 2 best allies broke our close ties and I got in an armistice with them. As soon as one of my previous partners contacted me for peace I pushed the agenda toward alliance and got it. Then 1-2 turn after, armistice again.

I loaded an auto save before the first alliance break discovering they were allied to the soon-to-become-enemy. My previous assumption that it was just a diplomatic error and I'd earn back my privilege status doesn't seem true as they (allies) seem to hold my enemy to the same esteem. In that auto save, I still had contact with the future enemy and couldn't make peace, even giving all my advances, my nation is surely in top 3 of advance, and everything else short of a city won't get me peace

Please show me how to make peace with the nation blocking my previous alliances, seemingly as important to them as me.

Thank you kindly
DynV

Postby DoctorJLowe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:15 am

1) There is no concept of loyalty or friendship in this game - it doesn't matter how long you were allies.

2) The fact of the matter is: the AI is programmed to envy anybody who has a higher score than them. Accept that you will either need to keep bribing them lavishly or you will have to dominate them militarily.

I personally avoid allying with an AI, as it usually ends poorly. I'm sorry that this probably isn't what you wanted to hear.
DoctorJLowe

Postby DynV » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:01 am

The 2 allies are allying with me without a problem so there's no issue with them. From what you're stating, I have a bigger score than them. The problem is with their other ally whom I just discovered and doesn't want to make peace with me. Did you understand this?

So from what I understand that nation has a bigger score than me? If I try conquer them militarily, won't I have my 2 previous allies along with that newly contacted nation?
DynV

Postby DoctorJLowe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:21 pm

[quote="DynV"]From what you're stating, I have a bigger score than them.[/quote]

By 'them' i think you mean your current allies. I don't [b]think[/b]the score affects ally relationships, but i don't have much experience in this area.

[quote="DynV"]So from what I understand that nation has a bigger score than me?[/quote]

Actually, just the opposite: i suspect the nation you've just met is jealous of you.

DynV"]If I try conquer them militarily, won't I have my 2 previous allies along with that newly contacted nation?[/quote]

I don't think i can predict the outcome of that change. When war is declared, the AIs you've allied to will pick a side. I'm not sure whether they will side with you or the other guy. One of the little annoyances to allying with an AI is the all-or-nothing nature of a relationship with them. If your ally decides to declare war with somebody on the other side of the globe, they will insist that you join along. Again, it doesn't matter how long you've had the alliance - it will quickly be tossed aside if you don't declare war on all their enemies. If you go that route, please let us know whether you are able to keep your allies.
DoctorJLowe

Return to Gameplay