[quote="Hal"]Mostly q's about battleships:
1. What's the best/easiest way to beat them?
2. Why are the computer's battleships nearly invulnerable against my battleships, stealth bombers, submarines, etc. etc. etc.? Usually, I need at least 2 missiles and a bomber to guarantee a win, but they have defeated 5+ missiles in the past.
3. How can I defend against them? Usually they rape whatever defense I have, leave to heal, then come back. I usually defend with 4+ veteran riflemen and coastal defense because they slaughter any planes or ships I leave there with hardly any scratches. At least the riflemen will beat them up a little so I can hopefully finish them off.
thanks in advance.[/quote]
1. Attacking with a pack of submarines is the best defense. Submarines cost 1/3 of a battleship and usually when attacking battleships with them the first one dies and the second destroys the battleship and becomes badly damaged. Try to save the second sub if it becomes more experienced, more experienced subs can destroy battleships with relative ease.
Beef up city defense: Have an engineer transform the tile the city is on to hills, build coastal defenses, port facility, and walls(in case they land troops, marines or use paratroopers)
Units to defend city:2 riflemen, 2 submarines, 1 battleship(to attack aegis cruisers, cruisers, destroyers, and transports), AWACS(to see them coming well in advance. Double the number of units if the city would make a great beachhead.
2. I would guess the computers battleships are hardened or elite veterans from destroying so many of your other units. Bombers and missiles lack the hitpoints the needed to destroy a battleship. bombers cost almost as much as a battleship. Missiles can only be used once, so the high cost isn't worth using them against battleships.
3. Alpine troops or mechanized infantry are better defenders so use those instead of riflemen if you have the technology.