Accounts e-mail HP

Opinions on "fuly random height" map generator?

Smallpox vs. largepox, early war vs. peaceful alliances... the AI is too tame? Discuss the best strategies!

Opinions on "fuly random height" map generator?

Postby morphles » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:46 pm

I'm big proponent of random maps, and fractal generator is my favorite in particular. Used to think that "fully random height" is a bit meh, as maps generated by it are far less realistic looking. But after checking out some maps I must say that they seem like quite nice maps to play. Only think that I woudl find lacking (though that depends on map size) is land strips narrow enough to channel with city, though using channel base for that should resolve that issue and provide for significantly different random game experience from fractal world. What do you think?
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Re: Opinions on "fuly random height" map generator?

Postby marioxcc » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:52 pm

I don't have enough experience to opine on different map generators or do a map comparison, but I definitely prefer a random map to an scenario game.
marioxcc

Postby Corbeau » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:00 am

Share an example, Morphles?
Corbeau

Postby monamipierrot » Mon May 05, 2014 9:21 pm

full random are boring. Fractal wins 10-0.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby nouja » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:06 pm

morphles wrote:I'm big proponent of random maps, and fractal generator is my favorite in particular. Used to think that "fully random height" is a bit meh, as maps generated by it are far less realistic looking. But after checking out some maps I must say that they seem like quite nice maps to play. Only think that I woudl find lacking (though that depends on map size) is land strips narrow enough to channel with city, though using channel base for that should resolve that issue and provide for significantly different random game experience from fractal world. What do you think?
You could set citymindist to 1 to allow city channels. I don't know why that isn't the default.
nouja

Postby morphles » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Even though I do not like city min dist at all. Having it at one introduces various problems, esp if AI is present. Additionally this might create very significant upkeep (like "channel cities" taking you over civ city count limit). And logically it also does not make much sense, so I do not support using cities for channels, well more like, people can use that, but it's still retarded and needs proper solution like tile improvement.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Return to Gameplay