Accounts e-mail HP

Games of Freeciv

A scenario played on the grounds of the "Game of Thrones" - By XYZ

Games of Freeciv

Postby XYZ » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:14 pm

As previously in another thread mentioned I worked on a map based on the Saga of Game of Thrones. I included all big houses of Westeros and the powers of Essos. The nations should be all more or less balanced but big differences in between the continents exist. A few ai's will play some "supportive" nations. I will have control over the Night's Watch.

-Alliance limit: 2 players
-Ruleset: civ2civ3
-Tech level: medieval
-Trade: disabled
-City trading: disabled
-Startdate: As soon as we have all players together
-Veteran players get favoured

Hope you all join!

Ferdi (XYZ)

PS: Ask questions!
Attachments
Players Games of Freeciv.gif
Available Players; crossed = ai controlled; * = if high demand also human controlled
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Re: Games of Freeciv

Postby Major Nimrod » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:55 am

Very cool, Ferdi !

I love the show... watch it every week. Haven't read the books (yet) but have been sorely tempted to do so.

I guess you're using one of the many maps available online and have converted it
(example http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Known_World).

Lately I came across a fantastic interactive map that I'm sure you'll enjoy. It's got a crazy amount of features, including the ability to track your favourite characters' progress during the series :)

Check it out here http://quartermaester.info/

Back to your GOT scenario:

Standard tiles, not hexmap right?

Also, any reason for Civ2Civ3 ruleset ?

There's been a recent wave of GT games that have used this ever changing ruleset, and I think it's changed far too much over time now. Some of the most recent changes have become quite controversial (like the "occupychance" setting). I've been testing the latest version offline, and although a very good ruleset for offline play on an Earth map (as intended by Bardo) it is less and less of a good fit for multiplayer play on GT servers (in my humble opinion). More and more settings require "tweaking" before the go-live date as Bardo continues to update the ruleset.

Perhaps we'd be better off moving back to a tried and true, more familiar ruleset like either a Standard game with well established tweaks, or Book's multiplayer ruleset.

Finally, put me down for House Stark. I love the Underdog (pun intended!). 8-)
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby el_perdedor » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:43 am

lannister!!!!!!!!!
"bla bla blabla bla blaaa blabla!"
-el perdedor!!! 12.04.2014
el_perdedor

Postby XYZ » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:09 pm

Hey Nimmy,

I guess you're using one of the many maps available online and have converted it

I used the interactive map and tried to be as accurate as possible. I had practically to edit every tile of the map and tried to get a vague impression of each city via the wiki. But my deeper knowledge is also limited to the 2 seasons I bingewachted during vacations. Westeros is quite crowded so I had to make there most of the quality concessions. The continents are also turned around (what didn't make it easier to edit) so that the amount of ocean is smaller.

Standard tiles, not hexmap right?

Standard.

Also, any reason for Civ2Civ3 ruleset ?

I learned to like the new ruleset, specially the antismallpox features favouring big cities and after some games I simply got accustomed :D . But I'm open for tweaking or even a new ruleset if it includes the mentioned features.
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby kevin55I » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:26 am

Looks interesting. Some questions.

How big is this map? How many cities per player?
Are all the cities already placed?
Will the map be revealed? If so why not allow people to download it beforehand.

Do all players start with the same tech?
Does new tech get researched?
Does tech continue after the medieval?
kevin55I

Postby XYZ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:58 am

How many cities per player?

Westeros: average of 9. If a player gets less I tried to compensate somehow. House Greyjoy though is very different :D
Essos: 5 wich isn't a big problem since there is plenty of space.

How big is this map? How many cities per player?

119x95

Are all the cities already placed?

In place with structures.

Will the map be revealed? If so why not allow people to download it beforehand.

It will not be revealed and since it differs from an original map there is plenty to explore. My experience with scenarios tells me that it is much better that way. (WWI scenario vs. Colonial Africa). If you want to check out one scenario Nimmrod and I created you can download it here: civland.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=718

Does new tech get researched?Does tech continue after the medieval?

Yes but the sciencebox will be high in order to keep the medieval atmosphere for a longer time.
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby kevin55I » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks for those answers - and the link to GT07 scenario.
Can you explain how long the game lasts - how is the end determined?

It is unlikely that I would have the time to play a major nation to the end.
Are there any minor nations that can fight and die early in the game without distorting the game's balance.
If so I am tempted.
kevin55I

Postby XYZ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:14 pm

:D Well, you could role play Qarth, the Dothraki or the Thazareen sheep people. Qarth has only one big city a little off the beaten track, the Dothraki have many knights scattered around Essos, the Thazareen people are more of the peacefull sort. The most passive way to play would be controlling one or both islanders via delegation. In any case I can aitoggle you once you got enough since they would be controlled anyway by the ai.
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Corbeau » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:35 pm

Shouldn't Dothraki have around a million horsemen and warriors and nothing else? (Ok, maybe a few settlers, workers and migrants...)
Corbeau

Postby XYZ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Initially I wanted to use horsemen but they are pretty weak even in large scale numbers so reluctantly I had to scale them up to knights. Also unit support plays a role and the Dothraki have one big city Vaes Dothrak.
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Next

Return to GT11