Accounts e-mail HP

Games of Freeciv

A scenario played on the grounds of the "Game of Thrones" - By XYZ

Re: Games of Freeciv

Postby marioxcc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:24 am

Hello. I'm new to freeciv and I like a lot this game, especially because it's free as in freedom software.

I have read all the information than I could find about playing Freeciv, but there's very little regarding Greatturn, davide answered my questions related to it through in-game chat, but its documentation still needs a lot of work.

I have no idea of the proprietary games than you're talking about, please try to keep references to them or to something besides knowledge necessary to play Freeciv or thing closely related to it at minimum. Think of this: what would you thing if I were to propose a map than its like my neighborhood (And expected you to know how it is)?.

Could we please play with settings as similar as possible to the default ones?. I don't know the "civ2civ3" ruleset. What would be the advantages of using it?. Where can I find a description of the differences and how they affect gameplay? Why can't we use the default ruleset anyway, what's wrong with it?.

What is the proposed map topology? I'd prefer it to be x-wraped and with poles (Rather than a contiguous landmass across a torus surface. I find playing in a torus surface highly counterintuitive. Spatial senses don't work very well with it, they work better with a "flat" topology and a wrapping along one axis is tolerable to make the map more balanced (In than players are not in an edge).

Regards.
marioxcc

Postby Corbeau » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:27 am

marioxcc wrote:what would you thing if I were to propose a map than its like my neighborhood (And expected you to know how it is)?.

What do you mean by this?
Corbeau

Postby Corbeau » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:19 am

About Dothraki and their horsemen, couldn't sleep last night so been rolling some math in my head.

It could be done. Maybe. I'll throw some ideas and it's possible that some of them are not implementable because I don't understand the limitations of rulesets, so have mercy on my poor soul.

So, do some or all of the following:

- if possible, create a new tech; if not, use an existing one; maybe Wheel (don't remember any war chariots in GoT). Give this technology an abnormal prerequisite: Fusion Power, so that you know nobody is ever going to get it. Reroute all other technologies so that they go around it and Wheel is not needed in the Tech tree

- give this technology to Dothraki at the beginning of the game

- make this technology a prerequisite for unit "Dothraki Horsemen";

- "Dothraki Horsemen" should have increased attack; also, increased defence, but reduced hit points; so, after battle they either die or repair in the field more quickly; yes, more luck involved, they go for "all or nothing", savages they are; some testing about the right numbers should be done; maybe increase firepower so that they can actually kill somebody before they die: to be determined in the testing process

- alternative to tech meddling: is it possible for a human to lead a barbarian nation? If so, simply give Dothraki a tag "barbarian" and set "Dothraki Horsemen" so that they are only able to be built by barbarians

- another possible way to do it: make "Dothraki Horsemen" be able to be built only under Tribal government; not 100% effective, but it may help

Additional Dothraki features: they don't really build cities so this should be reflected in the game:

- "Dothraki Settlers": they don't consume population to be built so they can really be mass produced
- however, "Dothraki Horsemen" do require population to be built, thus leaving cities very small if they want to have military units

More about the scenario: I'm not sure you should have any technology progress here. It all takes place within a few years, there is no time for any new science and there are definitely no discoveries made while the plot is happening. Should be all about production and money.
Corbeau

Postby kevin55I » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:31 am

ok - I'll play the Dothraki.
sounds fun.
kevin55I

Postby XYZ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Sorry Corbeau :D , but anything that goes beyond the limits of the editor is out of my limits...
About the technology progress: If I set sciencebox at 400 it is very unlikely that someone will invest in tech or any tech will come very late. I simply want to leave the option. GT Africa has only seen tech progress due to huts that were meant for natives.
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Corbeau » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:26 pm

XYZ wrote:Sorry Corbeau :D , but anything that goes beyond the limits of the editor is out of my limits...

I think that most of what I said, and maybe even all of it, can be easily edited. Tweaking the horsemen and the technology definitely do.

However, does anyone know how to tweak government settings? I don't see any relevant data in the ruleset-specific files, but the governments have obviously been tweaked.
Corbeau

Postby XYZ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:34 pm

@marioxcc:

1. It's a matter of time. Nobody can't explain every detail but you can look most of the things up. You can google things or find most of it under the help section.

As for the map: http://quartermaester.info/

If you want to play another game you can of course propose your own game with standard settings.
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Major Nimrod » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:02 pm

I do think it's time that the next GT game be more in line with default settings, or ruleset at any rate.

We've been playing a lot of specialized scenarios lately, and although I think it's great fun (especially looking forward to this one, btw) there is the problem of our newer members who have not played any "regular" games at all.

Perhaps Davide can let us know what he thinks about this issue when he has a chance.
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby XYZ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Good that you mention that. Since the beginning I wanted to ask if it could be again a series of matches, specially since a few people are signing up for GT11 without really knowing what they are playing and expecting more a classical game. But my guess is that GT 10 Africa is not going to overlap much with this one and normal GT games are still running GT9, GT8 (though with an American continent map).
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby marioxcc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:04 pm

Corbeau wrote:
marioxcc wrote:what would you thing if I were to propose a map than its like my neighborhood (And expected you to know how it is)?.

What do you mean by this?

I mean than you guys shouldn't assume knowledge beyond what is already required to play Freeciv and closely related things.

For instance, if I were to make references to my neighborhood then only those who know it (And Freeciv players need not to) would understand my proposal and be able to opine about.

XYZ wrote:@marioxcc:

1. It's a matter of time. Nobody can't explain every detail but you can look most of the things up. You can google things or find most of it under the help section.

I see that map, but this isn't the map than you will use, it's just a basis for it, so it don't tells me how the map will be.

By the way, there's the issue than by using a custom map by you, you would have knowledge of it while we the rest of players wouldn't, giving you an unfair advantage.

Sure, I can learn about the proprietary game than you're talking about through the Internet, but I joined Greatturn because I like Freeciv. I have absolutely no interest in proprietary games (Other than making a free substitute like Freeciv is to Cililization, but that's not the case here) and I find it really awkward than I will have to spend time researching a topic unrelated to Freeciv in order to play it in Greatturn. I wouldn't complain (And wouldn't have joined) if Greatturn was advertised as a gaming platform for Freeciv players who are fans of "Game of Thrones"; but this is not the case at all.

Furthermore, since it's you who is proposing a deviation from the standard (In this case, you assume knowledge which is non-standard for Freeciv players) it's you the one who ought to have the burden of explanation here. This is akin to how in discussions the one who makes a claim has the burden of proof on it. Likewise, in the civilized world someone not known to be guilt is considered (Or entitled to the rights) of being innocent. Anyone accusing they of a crime is the one who carries the burden of evidence. You requiring me to study about this unrelated game is as if the accused were the one required to prove his innocence.

Now, as for the civ2civ3 ruleset, it's closely related to Freeciv and therefore I'm willing to learn it even through I'd prefer to keep deviation from the default ruleset to a minimum.

XYZ: Seems like the way you're managing this game fits your purpose and those of the other players who have commented in this thread. You're of course free to manage any private game in whatever way you and your gamemates like, but to the best of my knowledge this is open to general public and hence my critic as for the references to other games. Of course, given than the rest of you are in agreement with the current practice there's the unfortunate situation than the most than I can do is to choose to leave this game if my appeal to reason (I'm backing up my critic with arguments) proves insufficient.

Regards.
marioxcc

PreviousNext

Return to GT11