Accounts e-mail HP

Greatturn longturn relation?

It's 5am again and you are still sitting in front of your computer and chatting with some tv's while watching a bloody duel? Welcome friend :)

Greatturn longturn relation?

Postby morphles » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:39 pm

As I'm kinda late commer to great turn comunity, I was wondering what is relation of longturn and greatturn communities?

Longturn seems kinda dead but not quite, they have site, that shows that supposedly some games are still ongoing, though metaserver does not register them. Also it seems that thier forums have been deserted for some time. There seems to have been some mentions of long turn in some posts. But relation seems unclear. So what are the stories?
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Re: Greatturn longturn relation?

Postby Davide » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:34 pm

There's no relation. They don't share any code, resource, or administrator.
They have a completely different paradigm of the code structure; the code of GT is extremely flexible, can be expanded and upgraded in a flash, and requires no effort to be patched against newer versions of Freeciv, because the integration with the source is non-invasive.
In my biased (but actual) opinion, Greatturn is the most appropriate approach for long gameplay in Freeciv.
Davide

Postby ifaesfu » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:48 am

The only relation is that there are some players who have played both and there are some identical rules that are the core of them.
ifaesfu

Postby monamipierrot » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:35 pm

Longturn is not dead. They are currently playing some "ladder wars" which if I'm not wrong a clever way of get rid of the "external alliances" issue.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby ifaesfu » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:07 pm

Longturn games aren't published in the metaserver. You have to type your password before getting into the server, whose number is in the longturn web.
Yes, they are playing now "ladder wars". Players have been divided into 3 groups (I think), so better players will be in the top group, and worst ones in the bottom.
ifaesfu

Return to Community