Accounts e-mail HP

General settings for GT12

Setup phase

General settings for GT12

Postby Corbeau » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:05 am

So, we're on, then \ :D /

About settings, I'd like to try not a simple blind poll system, meaning, set up a poll, if it passes, it goes. The Longturn guys are right in one thing: settings should be balanced together and some stuff may not work with other stuff.

For example, I was thinking about artillery class units, and this is an idea how we could make thing a bit different (not too much), to see how it works.
For starters, take the x2 movement (phalanx moves 2, horsemen 4 etc).
Also, give the "artillery class" units (catapult, cannon, artillery, howitzer) "bombardment" ability. (They shoot from afar, don't receive damage, but can only reduce the defender down to 1 HP; a standard offensive unit must finish the job.)
BUT! To compensate for this advantage, give them only *one* movement point. Which is logical, because catapults should move way slower than infantry.

-------

Another thing I was thinking about was fix the caravans. It makes no sense to have a trade route established that draws revenue from thin air for the next 1000 years without lifting a finger. A one-time bonus is fine - and no problem in making it a hefty one - but eternal profit seems like a not good way to go.

-------

Also, someone mentioned, and I agree, to set up some AIs so that people dropping in later can join. OR leave a continent or some islands or some space for them to be spawned there, with some extra units... on the other hand, that's roughly the same as setting up AIs... But if we do AIs, have a gentlemen't agreeement not to bash them too much, at least not in the beginning.

-----

Another thing I'd like to propose is to agree on the GT League. If people are not interested, say so. (On the other hand, whoever *is* interested may keep their own score, only need to agree on the scoring system).

Slightly tied to this is the issue of tech exchange. Apart from damaging the League, it has been apparent that tech exchange favours big alliances (that have advantage of, well, being big alliances, in the first place) and that whoever is out of the loop will inevitably fall behind. Also, the "global tech market" that always comes to existence makes the sole idea of research completely meaningless; no need to research, really, just have good connections and a few hundred coins to buy it and you're safe.

Very tied to this: if it is agreed on, in order for the game not to last forever, science cost should be decreased by 50%, maybe even more.

Also, impose serious restrictions to tech conquer cost to prevent abuses (one city switching sides every turn), maybe even 100%. Together with this, set diplomatic stealing cost at least 50%, probably more.

------

Maybe each of these points should be made a separate topic, but that can always be done later.
Corbeau

Re: General settings for GT12

Postby ifaesfu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Again, regarding tech exchange problems, the only way to prevent it is to use techloss setting. There is no other way in 2.4 at least.
ifaesfu

Postby Corbeau » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:17 pm

This 2.4?
Attachments
tech.PNG
tech.PNG (134.74 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
Corbeau

Postby Corbeau » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:50 pm

Even more interesting, I see the same option in 2.3.5.
Corbeau

Postby el_perdedor » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:14 pm

the problem is that theer is still the option to steal techs from others with diplos...
"bla bla blabla bla blaaa blabla!"
-el perdedor!!! 12.04.2014
el_perdedor

Postby ifaesfu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:35 pm

Oh!!! That setting only makes harder to change techs, but you still can do it by conquering and stealing. Players can use hub cities to do it very easily.
ifaesfu

Postby Corbeau » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:09 am

Corbeau wrote:Also, impose serious restrictions to tech conquer cost to prevent abuses (one city switching sides every turn), maybe even 100%. Together with this, set diplomatic stealing cost at least 50%, probably more.

Not perfect, but better than nothing.
Corbeau

Postby morphles » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:49 am

Haven't read all, but I'll weight on tech trading point. I do not support tech trade bans. GT9, even if I was doing rather badly, was a fuckin blast, no matter how much tech trading went on. The only problem with techs is we did not adjust tech costs. Commercial civ games auto adjust tech cost based on map size, freeciv does not do that, you need to adjust using server settings. So we were playing rather large map with lots of players with tech costs of small map with 5 players, thats why tech progress was overly fast.

<rant>Yeah let's ban tech trade, then lets do as much as possible to hinder warfare and the we have great civ game. In fact so great we can have identical experience playing singleplayer without bots!</rant>
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Major Nimrod » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:30 pm

morphles wrote: <rant>Yeah let's ban tech trade, then lets do as much as possible to hinder warfare and the we have great civ game. In fact so great we can have identical experience playing singleplayer without bots!</rant>

Yeah, I hear ya. Feel the same way about trade. Gentlemen, start your nerfing :lol:
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby ifaesfu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:38 pm

I consider tech trading as a broken setting. As I have read from Corbeau AFAIR, it makes the game a popularity contest. If you have more friends or more time to chat, you will get much more techs than other players. I think it is more than enough to trade gold, sight and military aid.
ifaesfu

Next

Return to GT12