Accounts e-mail HP

Using longturn server

Setup phase

Using longturn server

Postby XYZ » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:43 pm

Ok, i read "Under new mangement" thread in civland.org
I have a vision that we are somehow rude ald old fashioned guys after reading this topic.
Akfaew proposed to GT players and new admins that they can use our server to start next GT game, but you have to bring your settings (rulesets, settings, etc.) and you can start a game on LT machines. After all somebody says that have scenario files of a game or two and nothing happend. We had not bad mind with GT games till GT machines will be ready. But there was any more words about it.
... (from edrim)

I found this on the longturn forum. Would it be helpful?
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Re: Using longturn server

Postby Corbeau » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:15 pm

If you are asking whether we should use LT servers for GT games, my reply is the same as before: if it can be arranged, why not? So, the real questions are: 1. what is the status of GT server(s), and 2. who will be the admin. After those two questions are answered, everything else will happen automatically.
Corbeau

Postby thegrime » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:45 am

I can give a bit of answer to question 1 -- evidently the virtualization system (openvz) underlying the GT code is deprecated in Debian. This means that installing GT as it was previously installed is a) complicated and b) basically a dead end.

So now I'll have to figure out how to re-engineer the GT code to support some other setup/system, or develop a new GT system entirely. It could be a long, drawn out process getting it running again. There is some hints that the mainline linux kernel provides some support for basic openvz functionality, so all hope is not lost, but I'll need to investigate further.

I apologize for the length of time it's taking to get GT running again. Too many masters pulling me in too many directions, unfortunately.
--= the Grime =--

That is all.
thegrime

Postby morphles » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:16 am

I would like to see the code, maybe I could help to figure something out.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:57 am

thegrime wrote:installing GT as it was previously installed

What is the difference between "installing GT" and simply installing a default FreeCiv server?
Corbeau

Postby morphles » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:08 am

It has to hook up with web interface.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Evan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:45 am

Hi,
i don't understand the technical side, but if anyone could explain in simple terms how this compares to what Davide said here..
Davide wrote:There's no relation. They don't share any code, resource, or administrator.
They have a completely different paradigm of the code structure; the code of GT is extremely flexible, can be expanded and upgraded in a flash, and requires no effort to be patched against newer versions of Freeciv, because the integration with the source is non-invasive.
In my biased (but actual) opinion, Greatturn is the most appropriate approach for long gameplay in Freeciv.

... it would be appreciated.
Also, Morpheles, what is your 'successions idea'?
oh and, thegrime, no need to apologise.
Evan

Postby morphles » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:46 am

Evan:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1041#p4753
You may start from 4th paragraph from the end of post.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Return to GT12