Accounts e-mail HP

tech-city trading

Re: tech-city trading

Postby Corbeau » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:22 am

morphles wrote:Blatant nonsense. Having techs does not really describe ether economy or industry. You can have all the techs you want, but if your production and income sucks (no improvements, terrain not worked properly) you'll not go very far.

If your production and income suck, you won't be having advanced techs. That's my point.

Tech trading is very important for diplomacy,

As are many other things. However, I believe the downside of tech trade is greater than its advantage.

and also important additional venue of attack.

That doesn't have anything to do with tech trade.

As for friends they can matter just as much even without tech trading.

Correct. So, what does this have to do with the topic?

Also I think I said that I would like to see unit trading, though thats not possible without city trading, this would allow even backward countries to have advanced units. And this can be fun in many ways. First of propping some nation can be very effective in certain situations. Second, it would impose bigger need for establishing of embassies, it would mean just because nation has advanced unit does not mean it has a tech for you to steal. This again can be useful in certain strategic situations. Nation deep behind front lines can be producing advanced stuff and sending them to the front lines, without giving tech to front line player, thus not exposing alliance to tech steal. And no simply sending units is not the same, due to upkeep and such. One can play democracy and pup adv units quickly giving them to communist who can deploy them all over the place without any penalties. Just imagine the possibilities!

Actually, earlier I was all for unit trading. Then I started having second thoughts because it allows highly unrealistic situations that amount to abuses. And then I read this example and I'm getting more and more against it.

Yeah, suppose you have an advanced democracy with everything necessary in the background, that spews out endless units and gives it to a communist government that has to spend a lot less for upkeep. Then the communists can use those same units to actually defend the democracy on democracy's territory.

If that doesn't scream "abuse" then I don't know what does.

On the other hand, being big, advanced and rich and having your army all over the world to defend your allies, and in the end collapsing economically because of it... does it sound familiar to anyone? :)
Corbeau

Previous

Return to Polls