Accounts e-mail HP

Question: Unit movement and attack rates

Contribute and discuss maps, scenarios, rulesets or modpacks here.

Question: Unit movement and attack rates

Postby Corbeau » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:59 am

I asked this question at the general FreeCiv forum, but got zero attention so far, so I'll put it here, too, maybe someone can answer.

For example: at default horsemen have movement rate 2 or can attack 2 times during a turn. Each attack spends 1 MP.

Movement can be adjusted in a ruleset. Civ2civ3 ruleset had movement x2, meaning horsemen have movement rate 4. At the same time, they can only attack twice in a turn. However, I couldn't find anything that may amount to "attack rate" in the ruleset file. Does it mean that it is in the game code itself and there is no way to change it by editing the ruleset?
Corbeau

Re: Question: Unit movement and attack rates

Postby morphles » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:51 pm

There some wrong stuff here.
Civ2civ3 ruleset had movement x2

No, c2c3 has normal movement. We on gt modified it to have 2x movement.
At the same time, they can only attack twice in a turn. However, I couldn't find anything that may amount to "attack rate" in the ruleset file.

Don't know where you got that, can only attack twize in a turn, I'll maybe test it when I get back home, but I'm more thatn 99% sure that it's wrong. As far as I can remember with musing with rulesets there is nothing like attack rate, there is movement. And then there is flag that ammounts to: attacking ends units turn/uses all remaining movement. What might be causing your "can only attack twice" is that iirc in c2c3 land unis have slowed when damaged, so if you do two attacks and presumably get damaged enough, you loose any movement, due to slowing effect. But I might be wrong. Still have never seen anything like can only attack n times, and I analyzed rulesets and wiki quite thruogly.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:29 pm

morphles wrote:
At the same time, they can only attack twice in a turn. However, I couldn't find anything that may amount to "attack rate" in the ruleset file.

Don't know where you got that, can only attack twize in a turn, I'll maybe test it when I get back home, but I'm more thatn 99% sure that it's wrong. As far as I can remember with musing with rulesets there is nothing like attack rate, there is movement. And then there is flag that ammounts to: attacking ends units turn/uses all remaining movement. What might be causing your "can only attack twice" is that iirc in c2c3 land unis have slowed when damaged, so if you do two attacks and presumably get damaged enough, you loose any movement, due to slowing effect. But I might be wrong. Still have never seen anything like can only attack n times, and I analyzed rulesets and wiki quite thruogly.

Actually, I got it from here:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=892&start=30#p4077
Corbeau

Postby morphles » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Dunno, I'll have to check or you can check. But that sounds wrong. You can even check with "almsost default ruleset" take fast unit, say horsemen, used editor place some roads for better measure, place some diplomats immedeatly near horsement (iirc they have 0 defense so no hp loss on horsemen and no slowing), and see how many you can kill in a turn. Hm actually with default it will be two, so edit ruleset to increase horsemens mp. But I know for a fact that for example with ships you can attack many many times. Quite recently I played a game against bots, and almost surely did multiple attacks with ships, probably up to 4.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Yeah, but ships by default have 4 or more MPs.

Ok, I'll give it a try.
Corbeau

Return to Maps, rulesets and modpacks