Accounts e-mail HP

Online map generator

Contribute and discuss maps, scenarios, rulesets or modpacks here.

Online map generator

Postby Davide » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:48 pm

I've found an interesting general-purpose map generator at http://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp .
It generates fractal maps out of several parameters which in turn could be converted into actual Freeciv maps via the mapper program.

Example: (*)
Map-256.jpg
Example of fractal map
Davide

Re: Online map generator

Postby Corbeau » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:47 pm

The problem with all those generators is that the structure of the Earth's surface is not fractal nor random.
Corbeau

Postby Davide » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:32 pm

I'd say the shape of the Earth's surface is the result of a mathematical model of cosmic chaos algorithms iterating over a few billion years or, on the other hand, a precise design plotted by the Mastermind for purposes unforeseeable to mankind. People take their side, whichever, whocares.

However, I wouldn't say the way fractal map generators work is a "problem", rather, a peculiar feature of their own.
Davide

Postby Corbeau » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:34 pm

Er... No, the shape of the Earth's surface is the result of plate tectonics, which has drastically different mechanics - and visibly different results - then fractal algorithms.

But I agree. It's not really a "problem", simply a reality decreasing feature ;) Good enough for gaming, just don't call it realistic ;)
Corbeau

Postby Davide » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Corbeau wrote:Er... No, the shape of the Earth's surface is the result of plate tectonics

Aren't Earth tectonics part of the Cosmic life?

Corbeau wrote:It's not really a "problem", simply a reality decreasing feature ;) Good enough for gaming, just don't call it realistic ;)

Yeh! :evil: Whatever :D

Edit: It'd be cool to have some kind of map generator based on tectonics simulation. Basically, any third-party generator able to produce a map picture would be suitable for Freeciv, since we have the mapper converter able to take the picture and make a savefile : )
Davide

Return to Maps, rulesets and modpacks