Accounts e-mail HP

Africa scenario

Contribute and discuss maps, scenarios, rulesets or modpacks here.

Africa scenario

Postby XYZ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:30 am

People of Greatturn!

I worked busy the past two day to finish up my announced Colonial Africa scenario. I digged up the whole Africa map and made big adjustments. The scenario consists of the colonial powers of that time, Abyssinia, Liberia, Boer Republic, Marocco and some local tribes/kingdoms and a slave trader nation. The 12 colonial powers or independant African Nations have all the same tech level but different size in population and territory; the local tribemen have lower tech and strength and should be controlled by the ai. Because of missing data and time all the cities have the size 1 and don't have any structures inside (contrary to the WWI scenario). Each colony has proportionally to it's size a number of cavalry and artillery.

The scenario can be played either with most of the African coast territory already discovered or with a completely undiscovered map. The choice is yours I will upload both versions.

The finall question is if we want to play this scenario as a mini Greatturn role-game considering that only 12 player could play a real nation and that the game unbalance is huge. If there are enough voluntaries I will retain the scenario until the possible game is over otherwise I will upload it.

An informal YES as reply would help!
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Re: Africa scenario

Postby Davide » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:01 pm

I've been considering the idea of spawning multiple variants of GT10, so YES, definitely it would be cool to have a GT10-Africa :D
Davide

Postby XYZ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Perfect! :D
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Major Nimrod » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Ferdi was kind enough to send me an advance copy of the scenario.

Apart from a few minor suggestions for corrections, I think it's a great piece of work and potentially lots of fun to play.

In my opinion, there is a good chance that this will be highly enjoyable in a GT environment, provided that the right rulesets and settings are determined in advance.
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Davide » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Ferdi sent a copy of the map to me too. It looks great!
This is my email in reply, just to keep forum informed:

In my email I wrote:
Via email, Ferdinand wrote:You can test if it is GT material

Indeed this is! You terraformed large part of the original map - which my generator didn't make very well by its own - and the result looks very interesting.

Some nations are so much bigger than others that some balancing should be considered. Perhaps assigning AIs to these big guys could be a solution. Or maybe we could give some bonuses to the minor nations (gold?). Discussion on Forum!

The map itself looks very good, and if imbalance is solved, it can go straight into GT10-Africa !

-- Davide
Davide

Postby XYZ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:38 pm

Some nations are so much bigger than others that some balancing should be considered. Perhaps assigning AIs to these big guys could be a solution.

Nimmrod had the same idea. Problematic is that we would loose 3 players (France, Britain and the Ottoman Empire). I thought about prohibiting alliances to those nations meanwhile the others can compensate by forming some. Also their power shoudn't be overrated since the colonial territories are split and there is no Trans African Railway. That's just my thought but I can also perfectly live with some ai controlled super powers. You both decide! :D
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Major Nimrod » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:26 pm

AI controlling really large or powerful nations doesn't sit well with me for some reason. Small yes, because the impact is minimized (at least at first). But right from the start, I don't know it seems off. Plus those are some interesting nations... somebody deserves a chance to play them. Perhaps we could reserve them for only inexperienced players instead?
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Corbeau » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Spinoff idea: players control African nations, AIs control imperial powers. Also, African nations start at the stone age, but have many settlers available, while imperials start at ~1500 AD tech level, but small military and only one settler (and if it gets killed off, the nation still exists, only gets another settler for free; possibly additional military units "to teach the natives a lesson").
Corbeau

Postby monamipierrot » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Corbeau wrote:Spinoff idea: players control African nations, AIs control imperial powers. Also, African nations start at the stone age, but have many settlers available, while imperials start at ~1500 AD tech level, but small military and only one settler (and if it gets killed off, the nation still exists, only gets another settler for free; possibly additional military units "to teach the natives a lesson").

Cool! I think this is an excellent idea!
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby XYZ » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Hehe :D I Wanna see you fight the ai with stones and arrows. But I must admit the idea is tempting, on the other hand a lot of work... I digged up the whole continent if you want to do that scenario! Just ask!
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Next

Return to Maps, rulesets and modpacks