Accounts e-mail HP

Units animation

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.

Units animation

Postby guest » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:38 pm

Just wondering...what about using animated sprites like those from Battle for Wesnoth in Freeciv?

I don't know anything about this topic, but there is some documentation covering the subject in the following link.

[url=http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Create_Art]http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Create_Art[/url]

Units animation

Postby markm » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Crossfire (and Daimonin, which forked from Crossfire) also uses animations, and, like Wesnoth, likes to have them for different directions the unit/character is facing or moving.

What would be really nice would be to have comparable graphics for all of them. So far I am less concerned with animating or not animating than I am with conveying comparable information. But if we start to introduce FreeCiv unit/soldier types into Wesnoth and/or Crossfire and/or Daimonin those engines that already do tend to animate everything will maybe thus start to develop some incentive to animate our types of troops, whereupon being as how its all part of the Gnuniverse / Gnuverse, we can swipe them back. Then when we have animations ready for substantially our entire main lines of units we in turn will maybe have some incentive to spend CPU cycles on animation that might in theory be potentially useful for smartening up our AI routines. Hmm, animation or smarts, hmm, interesting tradeoff?

I guess if huge graphics cards with built in physics engines can make movies of our inits-in-action without impacting the CPU much it might become a no-brainer to have full 3D movie-quality visuals. But how close is graphic-card technology to doing that?

-MarkM-
markm

Units animation

Postby Gorillaz » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:26 am

I think you shoul add some movements. example when you move a worker to left he should move his body to left, you just need to change the image when you move it, then when you move it to right the change to right.
Same for airplanes, alpine tanks, howitzers nukes(I think the Nuke image is horibly). I think is a good beggin to developing. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Just thse little thing can do a lot of [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Gorillaz

Units animation

Postby guest » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:57 am

I don't think waiting the sprites be done is an option. Wesnoth art style is very different from Freeciv. There are lots of people doing sprites for Wesnoth, and perhaps they would gladly do some for freeciv too, but the code mus be done first. By the way, the code is there on BoW source, at least the coders won't need to make it from scratch.

Then when we have animations ready for substantially our entire main lines of units we in turn will maybe have some incentive to spend CPU cycles on animation that might in theory be potentially useful for smartening up our AI routines. Hmm, animation or smarts, hmm, interesting tradeoff?

Is this really a problem? As I've said, I know nothing about this subject, but the animations don't look so consuming. Aren't the today processors able to handle both?

Should I post this on the Wishlist forum?

Units animation

Postby Eleazar » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:02 am

[quote="guest"]I don't think waiting the sprites be done is an option. Wesnoth art style is very different from Freeciv. There are lots of people doing sprites for Wesnoth, and perhaps they would gladly do some for freeciv too, but the code mus be done first.[/quote]

As one who formerly did a lot of art for Wesnoth, i agree: 99 times out of 100 you need to have the feature ready before the community will seriously pitch in and make content.
Eleazar

Units animation

Postby book » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:29 pm

I'm experimenting with cairo for the gtk-2.0 gui right now; I'll keep
in mind how animations could be added to the mapview; hopefully
my changes will make the drawing code faster and cleaner. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
book

Units animation

Postby markm » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:00 pm

Keep in mind conveying useful information in an intuitive way though. In Crossfire a unit/character's facing shows in which direction they will emit missile weapons, bolt and cone effect spells and such. In Wesnoth they have backstab so one might naively imagine facing to be relevant for that but in actuality they implement it by checking that you have another unit on the opposite side of the unit you're backstabbing, and both such units can do it so its really more of a flanking kind of thing maybe. How great an idea is it to seem to be indicating with your symbology/representation that facing does something if it actually doesn't?

(Charge partial movement cost for changing facing maybe? So you can only attack in direction you're facing, and setting up your catapults or bombards to shoot in a different direction could take some time? Etc...)

I guess once one is used to the fact that X amount of the pixels being spent are misleading or window-dressing it doesn't seem much of a deal; and eye-candy is nice once in a while. Its on the client end anyway, we shouldn't even require that the user has eyes let alone exactly how they choose to see/represent the situations we're trying to describe/convey/represent to them.

Gosh it is nice that we have multiple tilesets eh? Once I get a look at some animated ones I might well be tempted to try out the cartography one! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

(I usually stick to trident as I find isometric confusing versus my non-isometric numeric-key-pad plus with trident I can actually fit more terrain on my screen.)

Crossfire and Wesnoth both already do animation in quite similar ways (or they seem similar to me anyway) so maybe scripting both ways swiping of art between those two (one square, the other hexagonal) would be a good start toward tools useful for later swiping both tileshapes into FreeCiv?

-MarkM-
markm

Units animation

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:22 pm

I'd don't want to have unit animation because it makes move them slower so turn take longer and it makes moding more difficult because the quality will have to be higher to match the other units

Units animation

Postby KittenKoder » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:09 am

Honestly, if you added animation capabilities then I would be willing to work on some of the graphics. A simple 2D sprite animation code won't be too hard, since everything is using tile sheets already, you just step through a set in sequence. Cairo is an excellent choice to.

I have been working on graphics for OpenTTD, but that venue is really limiting to me and I fear I will grow bored of it quickly. I like the changes in FreeCiv, I played an earlier version a while ago but found it hard to get use to so hadn't thought of it for a while now. The newest default graphics are nice, but animated units would really add a sparkle to it.
KittenKoder

Return to Art and tilesets