Accounts e-mail HP

Flag of Yugoslavia?

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.

Flag of Yugoslavia?

Postby Corbeau » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:16 pm

Who do I complain to about the fact that the Yugoslavian flag doesn't have a star on it? The country existed for 70 years, out of which the star was present in the last 45 (and during that period the country became known, powerful, famous etc.) Today, whenever ANYONE thinks of Yugoslavia, he thinks of the communist version with a star on the flag, not the monarchist before the WWII.
Corbeau

Re: Flag of Yugoslavia?

Postby Corbeau » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:48 pm

In case someone can shove this into the official tileset, here it is.
Attachments
Yugoslavia-images.zip
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Corbeau

Postby Davide » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:42 pm

When new flags are added to Freeciv, they must always be accompanied by a verifiable author declaration on their license (must be GPL-compatible). Flags taken from Wikipedia generally do the job.
Also PNG is no good :-) The format must be SVG, so that the flag dimensions can be stretched indefinitely. (no! PNG can't be converted to SVG without redrawing the whole image from scratch!)
Davide

Postby Corbeau » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:54 pm

How come the flags in the image set are PNG then?

Anyway, don't even know what SVG is so I guess someone else will have to do this. But the point is, the present situation is factually inaccurate. It would be like Germany being depicted by the imperial black-white-red flag.
Corbeau

Postby Davide » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Oh I didn't thought at that. Freeciv's software only uses PNG flags for any purpose, all around, everywhere. But, new flags which are added to Freeciv must be SVG. All the flags are present in both formats. SVG is how flags enter into Freeciv, but then PNG is how they are actually used by the game. That's because all the flags are manually cut in the required sizes during any release process, with the aid of a script. That's it, from the original SVG images, smaller icon-size flags are obtained, such as the small unit's shield flag, the medium nation-selection flag, and even flags shown in Greatturn website come from the very same SVGs included in Freeciv. That's it, SVG is the master file from which all the rest is derived.
Davide

Postby XYZ » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:14 pm

:D About that Germany flag: I need that flag for my WWI scenario :) So if any volunteer wants to add the German Empire (from 1870 till 1918/1945) I would be thankfull! And if we are already at nations and flags following interesting nations are also missing:

-Congo Freestate
-Rhodesia
-Austria-Hungary
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Corbeau » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Hm, I just checked and there is a SVG-format Yugoslavian flag ready at Wikipedia here. So, what do I need to do next?
Corbeau

Postby Davide » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:24 pm

That's cool Corbeau! You just need to open a ticket on Gna.org which shows your flag.
That's super simple: see how this guy did: https://gna.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=4535

Once an administrator at Gna takes charge of your ticket, the flag will almost surely be included by the next release, if there won't be complications with license and stuff.
Davide

Postby monamipierrot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:27 pm

By the way, I think we all miss the "goo old" swastika nazi flag ;) but I think it is purposely absent to avoid problems with some national law (such as German one).
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby XYZ » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:41 pm

I think that problem can be circumvented by just using the black/white/red flag. 1. Both periods 1870-1918 and 1933-1945 are meant and you don't need a redundant extra flag for pitty 10 years. 2. The black/white/red flag was the official flag from Nazi Germany from 1933-1935 until it was replaced by the Swastika. 3. Btw we already got a Swastika nation. Just look under Kuna :D
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Next

Return to Art and tilesets