Accounts e-mail HP

Reversing nontemperate climate areas in donut worlds

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?

Reversing nontemperate climate areas in donut worlds

Postby monamipierrot » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:02 am

I made some research about the donut nontemperate worlds.
If you're familiar with them, you will know they do generate 2 gigantic icecap poles, surrounded by concentrical squares of respectively subartic, temperate, tropical and equatorial areas.
Equatorial stripes mark the border between the 2 "emidonuts" in all possible direction.
If we managed to invert the order, what would happen? 2 junglish equatorial poles, each surrounded by squares of tropical, temperate, subartic and a artic border.
In few words, the world would be made of 2 squares delimited by ice, in which 2 different stories could develop till Flight and terraforming will make them useless and lead to a final encounter of 2 superpowers/alliances. !!!
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Re: Reversing nontemperate climate areas in donut worlds

Postby Davide » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:35 am

The idea is cool. In this picture there's what a normal non-reversed donut world looks like:

Donut.jpg
Not-reversed donut world
Donut.jpg (59.89 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

By inverting the terrain types, we would create two "fertile" world poles in place of the glaciers, surrounded by a relatively unaccessible boundary of mountains and ice strips. To better isolate the two groups of civilizations who happen to grow up on one or the other fertile area, the isolating unwalkable strips would need to be enlarged more than what the current desert equators are.
I like the idea... let's wait for a compilable patch :p
Davide

Re: Reversing nontemperate climate areas in donut worlds

Postby monamipierrot » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Som more ideas
1. Of course, independently from this, I think everybody is waiting for a patch that stretches temperate areas and minimize poles and equators.
2. Also, and this is independent from donut worlds, I would REALLY love a simple simple patch that JUST makes less rigid those climate stripes we find in nontemperate donut (or regular earthly) worlds.
I think is just a matter of changing a single variable and introduce much more high chanches that a tile in a climate stripes is NOT the regular type (ex: jungle for equators or glacier for poles) but could also be something else.
This would be great for all worlds but expecially donut worlds, which are still very rigid. no matter how you play with parameters.
3. And what about those "artificial" round poles? Why don't abolish them? If lands happen to be in the poles area, it will be glacier, full stop. If it doesn't happen, there will be a artic ocean or some small iced islands. I found it much more reasonable and funny.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Return to Wishlist