Accounts e-mail HP

moving diagonally costing extra MPs

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?

moving diagonally costing extra MPs

Postby Grendel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:47 pm

Just an idea here. There is a type of movement for games (I think it's called Manhattan) where the first diagonal you move costs normal movement, but the second costs double, simulating the fact that the diagonal is ~1.4 x the length of a side of the square. Could be a good option for square tile based games. Might be too complicated with terrains costing different MPs as well though.
"Our words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!" —Gandhi
Grendel

Re: moving diagonally costing extra MPs

Postby morphles » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:27 am

I would rather civ switch to hex by default, it's better in any and all regards. And even Sid decided to go for hex in Civ 5, took him longer than freeciv (as freeciv had that option first).
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Re: moving diagonally costing extra MPs

Postby monamipierrot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:22 pm

I don't really see the purpose of this rule. Everybody can move diagonally. It would be a "fairness" rule if it was a match between the Chess Rooks nation against the Chess Bishops nation... :D
Any complication without a purpose, well, it's just a complication. And I'm all against complications.
NO, thanks.

morphles wrote:I would rather civ switch to hex by default, it's better in any and all regards.

In my compilation of pro and cons of hexes I regarded movement as a CON ("no diagonal movements - so less variety"). It looks like this is also a PRO, so why waiting for my beloved HEXES ;)?
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Return to Wishlist