Accounts e-mail HP

need help installing on ubuntu

You can get help here for any kind of problem ranging from Freeciv to the website.

need help installing on ubuntu

Postby guest » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:56 am

hey guys. Title pretty much says it all. I'm trying to get the new version installed on ubuntu, but since they only have the old one at the repository, I have to install it the old fashioned way. Having trouble with that though. Can someone help walk me through it so I can get back in the game?

Re: need help installing on ubuntu

Postby guest » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:52 am

bump cause dis is important. Also accidentally buried this post under a months old one :?

Postby guest » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:35 pm

whoops didn't see the android part of this forum. Please move to appropriate forum?

Postby ifaesfu » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:21 pm

Yes, this is the Freeciv for Android thread. But it wouldn't be bad to have a tutorial for dumbs about installing freeciv in ubuntu. I have read and tried different ways but I have never made a full satisfied installation. For example, I have never heard a sound. Maybe it is only a problem of my notebook. Who knows?
Last edited by ifaesfu on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ifaesfu

Postby morphles » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:58 pm

Well I'll try to do quick outline of compiliation instruction (you'll have to compile if you want newest version, unless someone makes ppa).

First you need some things, you need tools for compling, you can get that by installing build-essentials package, using command line/terminal:
sudo apt-get install build-essential

Then you need dependancies for freeciv, again using terminal:
sudo apt-get build-dep freeciv-server freeciv-client-gtk

Should do it.
Then you download tarball from freeciv site, atchive file that ends in .tar.gz, .tar.bz2 or .tgz . Then you extract it, i would again use terminal. First you navigate there using 'cd' command, then ether:
tar xvf <archive file name>
To extract it, then change to newly created directory, then type:

./configure

if all dependacnies are met, you can complie, otherwise you have to see what you'r missing from messages.

Then:
make
this will take quite some time, maybe up to 20 minus, while compiling. If you have multicore machine you can speedup it by using paralel compilation, like:
make -j <number of cores>
instead of simple 'make', obviously cpu usage will be quite high when compiling.

After compilation is done, you can install it:
sudo make install

by default it will be installed in '/usr/local/' (executable at /user/local/bin/freeciv-gtk2). Though that can be changed in configure step. I usually want to have multiple clean versions not interfering with system at all so in configure step I do, something like:
./configure --prefix=/opt/fc25

Then after instalation i have all freeciv files there, and launch game using /opt/fc25/bin/freeciv-gtk2

Well thats it for now :)
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby ifaesfu » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:22 pm

Thank you for your clear explanation. I'll try freeciv 2.5 in kali-linux. I hope it is the same.
Anyway, the main problem is all those "you have to see what you'r missing from messages." You always get some messages.
ifaesfu

Return to General tech support