Accounts e-mail HP

Freeciv 2.3.1 compiled ok, game map is all black.

You can get help here for any kind of problem ranging from Freeciv to the website.

Postby spin0 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 am

I just compiled freeciv 2.3.1 on my freshly installed 64-bit lubuntu (Ubuntu with LXDE desktop) 11.10. After installing a few required dev-packages, configure and make reported no errors or problems, nor did installing. But when I run the game either with 'freeciv-gtk2' or with the civ script in the build directory, the game map will be shown all black, although the game seems to be working otherwise. (I can move my settlers etc.)

Does anyone have any idea why this might be and how to fix it? I'd like to play in a longturn-game, so I need to have the latest version. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]
spin0

Postby spin0 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:36 am

To be more precise, the chat window looks normal, but the view window is all black, no units or terrain is visible but I can still move the units.
spin0

Postby cazfi » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:50 am

I think this is Ubuntu specific problem, for which we have known workaround: Try setting environment variable GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 before running freeciv client.
cazfi

Postby spin0 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:31 am

[quote="cazfi"]I think this is Ubuntu specific problem, for which we have known workaround: Try setting environment variable GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 before running freeciv client.[/quote]
That did it, thank you, cazfi! Now I can command 'GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 freeciv-gtk2' and it works fine. (Apparently that setting is sub-optimal when not needed, so better use it only for freeciv.)
spin0

Return to General tech support