Accounts e-mail HP

Government menu only shows "Revolution"

You can get help here for any kind of problem ranging from Freeciv to the website.

Postby obryant » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Across several games, several times I've wanted to change governments but the government menu only shows Revolution, and not the different types of governments. This isn't always the case, and in one case rebooting changed this behavior.

Is there something I don't know about the rules, or is this a bug in the client?

I'm running freeciv 2.3.1 on Ubuntu 11.10, using the gtk2 client.
obryant

Postby JTN » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:38 pm

[quote="obryant"]Across several games, several times I've wanted to change governments but the government menu only shows Revolution, and not the different types of governments. This isn't always the case, and in one case rebooting changed this behavior.

Is there something I don't know about the rules, or is this a bug in the client?[/quote]
That's odd. Not heard of this before.
When you say "the government menu only shows Revolution", do you mean that the other types of government are grayed out, or are they literally not listed at all?
(To point out the obvious, you can't change to some kinds of government until you've researched the appropriate tech -- but you should always have Despotism as an option.)
Can you reproduce the behaviour from a savegame? If so, [url=http://gna.org/bugs/?group=freeciv&func=additem]raising a ticket[/url] and attaching the save file may help us track it down, if it is a bug.
JTN

Postby obryant » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:59 am

The other options are not grayed out, they don't show at all. I have a savegame that consistently generates the problem (for me, at least), and will raise a ticket (but possibly not until after I return from xmas travels).

Are there hotkeys for choosing the government type?
obryant

Postby JTN » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:20 pm

obryant wrote:The other options are not grayed out, they don't show at all.

Yes, that sounds like a bug.

obryant wrote:I have a savegame that consistently generates the problem (for me, at least), and will raise a ticket (but possibly not until after I return from xmas travels).
obryant wrote:Are there hotkeys for choosing the government type?[/quote="obryant"]Are there hotkeys for choosing the government type?

Not really... you can navigate the menu system with the keyboard, but that's about it.
(Since the government types are defined by the ruleset, it would be hard to ensure that all possible required keys were available -- and one doesn't change government that often?)
JTN

Postby shreesh » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:36 am

The same bug seems to be present in newest version of freeciv 2.3.1 for linux, gtk version.

Unfortunately, I did not save the savefile.
shreesh

Postby JTN » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:33 am

The existing [url=http://gna.org/bugs/?18764]bug #18764[/url] from October covers this symptom; please post any further reports / clues there.
JTN

Return to General tech support