Accounts e-mail HP

How to use Hex2t tileset

You can get help here for any kind of problem ranging from Freeciv to the website.

How to use Hex2t tileset

Postby Davide » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:15 pm

This is Hex2t:
hex2t.jpg
hex2t.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 3125 times

It's suitable to play Hex maps.

Some Freeciv versions don't have it. [ref]
If you don't have it listed in your local client options menu, install it by:
  • on Linux:
    sudo cp -dpr /usr/share/games/freeciv/amplio2 /usr/share/games/freeciv/amplio
  • on Windows:
    You have to copy the folder named amplio2 and paste it inside the same directory with the name amplio.
    Where this folder is in Windows, I don't know. Try with the Search tool.
Davide

Re: How to use Hex2t tileset

Postby ifaesfu » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:04 pm

I've just used hex2t and isophex.
Both of them show a very ugly map I'm not used to. I always play amplio2 tileset, so... can be show a map with hexes as amplio2?
I've just been trying these tilesets in a hex map and they are different. You can't move where you should when you press 4 or 6 in the numpad with hex2t, but you can move "jumping" over 2 tiles with 2 and 8.
isophex seems more "normal", as you can move only towards the 6 tiles you are surrounded
ifaesfu

Postby Davide » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:32 pm

ifaesfu wrote:I've just used hex2t and isophex.
You can't move where you should when you press 4 or 6 in the numpad with hex2t, but you can move "jumping" over 2 tiles with 2 and 8.

Yes hex maps have only 6 directions: 1 2 3 7 8 9.
This is because the hexagons have their base leaned upon to the horizontal axis.

For an example of how a hex map looks like on Amplio2, see here.
Davide

Postby monamipierrot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 pm

ifaesfu wrote:I've just been trying these tilesets in a hex map and they are different. You can't move where you should when you press 4 or 6 in the numpad with hex2t, but you can move "jumping" over 2 tiles with 2 and 8.
isophex seems more "normal", as you can move only towards the 6 tiles you are surrounded

That's because hex2t and isophex ARE NOT interchangeable. The 1st can show a HEX + NON-ISO map. The second one can show a HEX + ISO map. Please notice that for some geometrical reason ALL tilesets designed for squares ARE intercheangeable. Hexes, instead, can be of 2 types.
Hex2t IS beautiful but if you use it with a ISO-HEX map such as GT01, it not only shows WRONGLY the map, but it turns also weird and ugly: tiles edges are WRONG calculated because it HAS NOT the same N-E-W-S coordinates as isophex. So you can see a shore where actually there's no sea, or the beginnnig of a river which doesn't actually begin, and and and.
But believe me: in a HEX NON-ISO map, hex2t IS beautiful and crystal clear. I played lots of 1player games with it and IMHO hexes+fratal+hex2t is by far the most beautiful tileset/world.
So, Davide, thanks a lot, but I think there's no other chance than to restart, and remember not to start any HEX + ISO game.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Davide » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:25 pm

That's correct, monamipierrot.
I've tried Hex2t and it immediately shows its qualities of clearness and elegance for what concerns the terrain representation. However, I have some difficulties distinguishing a few units. Maybe they are a bit too small for me.

The tileset, however, should be activable from the client's menu for both iso and non-iso maps, even if for the latter it distorts the tiles arrangement. In case it's not activable at all, you probably have to follow the install procedure.
Davide

Return to General tech support