Accounts e-mail HP

Forum/website issues/suggestions

You can get help here for any kind of problem ranging from Freeciv to the website.

Forum/website issues/suggestions

Postby morphles » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:02 pm

I'm often (well 90% of the time) using raspberry pi. And great turn site is kinda slow/heavy on it (though id guess it might be similar on weaker phones, granted it is unlikelly that many users come on them, or use similary modest hardware:) ). Also IIRC there there some discussions about server load. So maybe site could be simplified? For example background images seem unnecessary, and maybe fancy forum 'logo'/title img could be replaced with just some text?

Lastly in game list/registrations it seems all flags are individual files, and now that I looked at it they seem to be svgs, which is understandable for game. But that is quite demanding for website. I think it would be much better to have them as bitmaps on website, moreover all flags could be merged into sprite and thus there would be only one request. And considering the sze at which flags are displayed it wouldn't matter much for user. Though seeing as there are a Lot of flags in freeciv sprite could end up being quite sizable, and since most of it wouldn't be used it might not be optimal. Though number of request would still decrease considerably. It would need testing, but I think it's worth trying out.

I can even suggest myself as possible helper/implementer for doing that :). I'm web developer, though that probably does not matter much.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Re: Forum/website issues/suggestions

Postby Davide » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:39 pm

Back in 2012 when the website was taking shape, it was a conscious choice of design to use SVG, as it simplified the structural design and simplified the periodic upgrade procedure required to support newer releases of Freeciv which include additional nations (flags).

SVGs are transferred to the web client compressed, so downloading all the 388 flags (current count - rarely clients download all them) takes just about 4 MB, or 5 seconds over ADSL. The drawback of this simplified server-side structure is that the client, once receives the data, has to decompress it to extract the larger payload, and this requires CPU-work. On desktop computers the decompression is fast and the process works well, but for handheld devices it may not be all smooth.

I'm not going to change the website structure at the moment because I don't consider the current popularity of Greatturn to be worth the effort. However I appreciate all suggestions and critics; I never forget about them, even if I don't take action at the time they are proposed.

Concerning the server performance, civland.org works very well and fast since it was upgraded in June. Never got overloads or prolonged downtimes since then. Pretty cool ;)
The server which sometimes gets overloaded is greatturn.org, which hosts the actual games, and its CPU runs hard at times. (Pentium 4 3GHz). But all that hardware is intended to be upgraded sooner or later!
Davide

Postby morphles » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:51 am

Compresion is well and good, but number of requests is still quite large, and most often that introduces much more latency than size (unless size are rather large, which they are not currently). As for support of additional flags/update it shouldnt be hard to write shell script that collects all flags, feeds them to image magic and creates srpite+css. I have done similar tasks at my work, though flags were not svgs, but that shouldn't matter much. Unless image magic would choke on some svgs.

More on compression: most likely you mean something like mod_gzip, or in genera gzip compression of web content that is all over the place, and that does not cause issues for my pi, since almost all sites use that and there is little problem.

I understand your argument about popularity :)

Anyways if you change your mind and need/want help let me know.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Davide » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:28 am

Yes, mod_compress in Lighttpd; it does a very good job compressing the SVGs.

I'm not sure about latency. In the access log I'm used to find quantities (say 50) of SVG requests within the span of a few seconds (usually 1 to 3) so user agents ought to parallelize the downloads over several instances. Smart! And this is also light on server load since we have very little users / traffic.

But thanks for the idea, I wasn't aware that you could reduce latency bounding images together ;)
Davide

Postby morphles » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:35 pm

Parallel connections are nice, though first they can be a bit of a, second this won't happen :); becaus - most browsers have max paraleles to server defaulting two 2, so not so much parallelism :) And thus decreasing requests is almost always recomended. Though at my job we sometimes go to some more ridiculous methods for that, but I'm not suggesting those here :)
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Davide » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:09 pm

In a way or another, the sole raw transmission of the images – and not the client-side decompression – flows quite fast: a penny of seconds to fill a complete page. I don't know if this is only true for clients geographically close to the server. However I for myself am pretty far from server – 250 ms – but I don't have noticeable loading delays with uncached pages. Of course on a PC, handhelds are another story. Maybe I'll post the access log.
Davide

Postby Corbeau » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:17 pm

In the last 2-3 days forum has been working awfully slow on a few occasions. Any idea what's going on?
Corbeau

Postby Davide » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Corbeau wrote:In the last 2-3 days forum has been working awfully slow on a few occasions. Any idea what's going on?

I noticed terrible slowness only for some hours yesterday. Then I reported it to the VPS provider; integral text of report follows. As of today the forum is working fine from my home. Also I don't see bad logs or overloads from SSH.

Davide to ChicagoVPS wrote:This is a report that the VPS in object of this ticket has been running unstably for at least the past 4 hours.
The VPS repeatedly shuts down and turns on, at intervals of about 10 minutes.
The web administration panel of the VPS (https://billing.chicagovps.net/clientar ... uctdetails) reports the red error "Connection error".

Luc Ayotte from ChicagoVPS, with a prepackaged copy-pasted message wrote:Hello,

We are very sorry for the downtime, we have found the root cause that was causing the systems kernel to panic. This problem has been resolved.
Davide

Postby Corbeau » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Happened to me a few times today... Maybe a different glitch that passed over, but I connected it to yesterday. Ok, thanks.
Corbeau

Return to General tech support