Accounts e-mail HP

Where is the Civ2Civ3 ruleset?

You can get help here for any kind of problem ranging from Freeciv to the website.

Where is the Civ2Civ3 ruleset?

Postby vidlius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:06 pm

Edit: Nevermind, I found the modpack utility.

My client shows default, civ2, experimental, multiplayer and something else. Which one is the civ2civ3 ruleset or do I need to download it somewhere? Thinking about playing greatturn, too bad gt10 is an ugly ass hex map /shudder.
vidlius

Re: Where is the Civ2Civ3 ruleset?

Postby Davide » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:27 pm

You can also download it from Bardo's thread, which holds a more up-to-date version of Civ2Civ3.
Davide

Postby Evan » Sun May 25, 2014 9:33 am

I'm having trouble getting the civ2civ3 ruleset set up. I don't think I know how to unzip a file properly, or put it in the right place.
I tried to follow the "User's Reference" tutorial on how to configure a match and chose the original GT09 ruleset called "Civ2Civ3 ruleset adapted to Greatturn".
The tutorial says:

Download it: click on the Zip icon next that revision line. Once downloaded, extract the archive where your Freeciv can read it. In Linux this is the home directory. The archive contains a folder. Suppose your extracted folder is called ~/GT00_ruleset/. Return to your Freeciv client and issue the command "/rulesetdir GT00_ruleset". Now you have set your local game the same way as the Greatturn match will be. You can proceed to test it.

I click on the zip icon and get a file called
GT09-tree-5168a86.zip
Then through windows I try to "Extract all Files" and use the suggested destination
C:\Users\Evan\Downloads\GT09-tree-5168a86
but when I issue the command
/rulesetdir GT09-tree-5168a86
or...
/rulesetdir Users\Evan\Downlaods\GT09-tree-5168a86
it says the ruleset directory is not found.
/rulesetdir \Users\Evan\Download\GT09-tree-5168a86
seems to just reprint this in blue font...
I tried to unzip to
~/GT09_ruleset
/GT09_ruleset
GT09_ruleset
etc. It didn't work. It seems to need a backwards slash "\"?
Why does the turorial example use foward slashes "/"? I know this is also how you give commands to the chat line, but are these not acceptible as file destinations?
What is "~"?
The tutorial says to "extract the archive where your Freeciv can read it." I thought this might mean that I should put it in the same folder?/file? where Freeciv is on my computer so I tried to put it in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Freeciv-2.4.2-gtk2
again this did not work.
I kept trying different combinations. Unzipping just a single folder, different names, etc etc. I don't know what I'm doing.
What am I doing wrong? Please help me.
I tried to drag one of those smilie faces over to express how I'm feeling. Not one of the ones which are smiling.
But it seems I don't know how to do that either.
I'm more than willing to learn some basic programming skills. In fact I would quite like to. But whenever I search around for more information I quickly hit more assumed knowledge. That's ok, I want to learn. But it will take time and right now I want to know how to do this.
Any suggested websites to learn the basics would be helpful too. There's so much out there and word-of-mouth is usually best. I haven't read a post here about having so much trouble with this as me, so it must be seem prettty simple stuff.
Thanks
Evan

Postby ifaesfu » Sun May 25, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi Evan, you should copy the files, once extracted, into the /data directory of freeciv if you are using windows.
You will find there other rulesets like default, experimental, multiplayer or civ2.
The tutorial you read is for linux, that's why the nomenclature is different.
If there is a file with the extension .serv between the extracted files, I think you can choose the ruleset with the graphical interface, instead of using the command rulesetdir, though you can use it too.
ifaesfu

Postby Major Nimrod » Sun May 25, 2014 1:06 pm

Evan wrote:I'm having trouble getting the civ2civ3 ruleset set up. I don't think I know how to unzip a file properly, or put it in the right place.
I tried to follow the "User's Reference" tutorial on how to configure a match and chose the original GT09 ruleset called "Civ2Civ3 ruleset adapted to Greatturn".
The tutorial says:

I click on the zip icon and get a file called
GT09-tree-5168a86.zip
Then through windows I try to "Extract all Files" and use the suggested destination
C:\Users\Evan\Downloads\GT09-tree-5168a86
but when I issue the command
/rulesetdir GT09-tree-5168a86
or...
/rulesetdir Users\Evan\Downlaods\GT09-tree-5168a86
it says the ruleset directory is not found.
/rulesetdir \Users\Evan\Download\GT09-tree-5168a86
seems to just reprint this in blue font...
I tried to unzip to
~/GT09_ruleset
/GT09_ruleset
GT09_ruleset
etc. It didn't work. It seems to need a backwards slash "\"?
Why does the turorial example use foward slashes "/"? I know this is also how you give commands to the chat line, but are these not acceptible as file destinations?
What is "~"?
The tutorial says to "extract the archive where your Freeciv can read it." I thought this might mean that I should put it in the same folder?/file? where Freeciv is on my computer so I tried to put it in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Freeciv-2.4.2-gtk2
again this did not work.
I kept trying different combinations. Unzipping just a single folder, different names, etc etc. I don't know what I'm doing.
What am I doing wrong? Please help me.
I tried to drag one of those smilie faces over to express how I'm feeling. Not one of the ones which are smiling.
But it seems I don't know how to do that either.
I'm more than willing to learn some basic programming skills. In fact I would quite like to. But whenever I search around for more information I quickly hit more assumed knowledge. That's ok, I want to learn. But it will take time and right now I want to know how to do this.
Any suggested websites to learn the basics would be helpful too. There's so much out there and word-of-mouth is usually best. I haven't read a post here about having so much trouble with this as me, so it must be seem prettty simple stuff.
Thanks

Hey Evan,

No worries. You're in the right place to ask for help! :D

Don't feel bad about getting the ruleset to work. It took me a while to figure it out myself, but now I'm comfortable enough to be able to offer you some advice.

Firstly, allow me to apologize on behalf of our friends in the Linux community. They do indeed live in a different world. Sometimes they don't appreciate the subtle differences between their operating system (Linux) versus the more prevalent Microsoft operating systems (Windows). I'm not here to start a flame war about which one is best, so please anyone else who reads this and decides to start one I simply won't respond. You've been warned.

Anyhow, file management in Linux can in fact use forwards instead of backwards slashes. This is the first part of your confusion. There's nothing to worry about here, because you've supplied enough details that I can let you know exactly where to unzip your files. You're using a 32-bit version of windows (minimum Windows Vista, probably Windows 7 if I were a betting man). The Program Files directory (off the root of your C: drive) is the location where all your programs are installed in Windows. Within this file structure, you will find the location for most of the Freeciv program files (C:\Program Files (x86)\Freeciv-2.4.2-gtk2).

In my experience, the best place to put ruleset files are in the Data subdirectory located here:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Freeciv-2.4.2-gtk2\data"

The reason being that many of the "stock" rulesets that come with the game when performing a fresh installation actually get copied into that directory. Freeciv will always look there first when loading up the different available rulesets. I suggest you go to your Downloads directory (where you've already "unzipped" the ruleset files) and copy the following into the Freeciv Data directory (path above):

1) civ2civ3 (a directory)
2) civ2civ3.serv (a singular file)

There are some other files included in this rulest, but they are not necessary for you at the moment. If you had Freeciv loaded and running at the time of this file copy operation, I suggest that you close the program and relaunch it.

Then you can feel free to start a new game and, if all goes well, you'll find that "civ2civ3" is an available ruleset option for your new game.

Finally, writing messages on a bulletin board (which is essentially what you are doing by interacting with this forum page) isn't terribly difficult. Most of the time it's plain text without any special formatting. However, it's possible to inject quite a bit of flair by using what are called BBCodes in order to obtain things like boldface or italics. Unlike a Wysiwyg editor, you can't see the changes you want to apply in the text editor box (which is where I'm typing this message at the moment). Using the BBCodes means injecting specially coded "tags" into the regular text that you type, in order to allow the website to undertand the formatting you want to apply. The only way to know for sure about what it looks like is to use the "Preview" button just next to the "Submit" button. Smilies are an example of BBCodes. Simply click on the smily that you wish to use. So for example if I want to use a regular happy face ( :D ) I'll simply click on the smily on the right hand side. In your text editor it will appear as a colon followed by an upper-case D, but if you click on the "Preview" button it will appear as a proper smily face.

You can read more about BBCodes here http://civland.org/forum/faq.php?mode=bbcode or in a more generalized way here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode.

I hope this helps. By the way, a small bit of advice: although Windows comes with an ok archive file decompression utility, the best free one out there is called "7-zip" and can be found here http://www.7-zip.org/.

Cheers !
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Evan » Sun May 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks, that worked. :D I see how you can use the /show commands to see the different variables. Looking forward to trying out the new rulesets.
In terms of changes to the civ2civ3 ruleset, there's no listing for GT11 yet. Is that because they don't get decided until polls towards the end of the pre-game period?
Also, you mentioned the 7-zip program is better. Does that mean errors can occur if you use the windows version?
Evan

Postby Major Nimrod » Mon May 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Well, in all fairness errors can occur no matter what file decompression utility you use. Especially if there are already errors in the source you've downloaded. But in all seriousness, 7-zip is more versatile and has more features than the built-in windows version. I recommend it because it's completely free and well crafted. It's also a cross-platform utility, which means that there are many people using Linux which use 7-zip as well.
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Return to General tech support