Accounts e-mail HP

Video replay player

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Video replay player

Postby xontastic » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:46 pm

It just doesn't work at all in chromium, opera plays sound only, in firefox and mplayer is ok. So is it fixable? Anyone got this working in those browsers ?
xontastic

Re: Video replay player

Postby Davide » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:27 pm

The problem you report is perfectly "normal".
The video encoder setup used by the replay generator is something kinda unique, developed by a branch of Mozilla Foundation (details).
It is an open standard. While Firefox completely supports the encoder, the competing browsers such as Chrome and others prefer to reject the standard in favour of proprietary commercial codecs.
Davide

Postby ifaesfu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:56 pm

I have to say that I could see neither the video nor the charts with google chrome. But for some time now, I can see the charts. I don't know why sometimes I can even see almost all the categories of the charts and sometimes I can see just the first one (trade). My version is "24.0.1312.57 m" under windows 7 32bits.
ifaesfu

Postby xontastic » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:59 am

And I would recommend to remove civilians score and replace it with population, civilians tells almost nothing.

( and some tooltip about not working player might be handy -> like: not working? -> try firefox )
xontastic

Postby Major Nimrod » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Works fine with Opera browser as well :)
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Davide » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Major Nimrod wrote:Works fine with Opera browser as well :)

Probably newer versions of Opera have extended support for Theora video encoder.
The replays' encoder is something extreme, and even versions dated 2009 (the age of my notebook's Debian 6.0) of many popolar tools fail to play those videos, such as VLC or FFMPEG. Newer versions are OK.
Davide

Return to General discussion