Accounts e-mail HP

Change site address?

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Change site address?

Postby Davide » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:22 am

I find freeciv-mundi.org to be too long and anti-mnemonic.
The word "mundi", meaning "world" in Latin, was originally chosen to express the aggregation efforts of the website trying to bound together all the Freeciv resources within one single website: the forum, the wiki, Greatturn, etc.

I thought Latin was the perfect language to match the history-wide theme of Freeciv, because in our Eurocentric cultures Latin is the master language crossing most of the world's epochs.
However, for a lot of users the word "mundi" is meaningless since many European languages are weakly (or not strongly) rooted upon a Latin origin.

I think the domain name should be changed to something easier, mnemonic, meaningful, and shorter.
My proposition is to replace freeciv-mundi.org with civland.org: a short disyllable which easily expresses the website concept and maintains the .org suffix, which is more appropriate than a .com and perhaps more intuitive.

If you have ideas, let's discuss them below here.
Davide

Re: Change site address?

Postby monamipierrot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:07 am

"Civland" is a good idea for me (I don't like both freeciv-mundi and greatturn).
Howevere, there could be some issues with developers of syd meyer stuff such Civworld. I bet they already registered the name and even the domains. And even if they didn't, whty may give us problems in the future.
How about "freecivland"? Yeah, that's not the same, I know.
LEt's discuss about the new name. I will check Civilization I quotes* for some possible idea!
And, I'm sorry Davide, but... could we change this "Greatturn" name? Everything is excellent in your idea, but the name, the name... IT'S UGLY!!!!!
Sorry to say that!

*I already checked "inthebeginning.whatever" and they are all taken from bible guys... :(
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Davide » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:48 am

After a quick research, Civland doesn't appear to be a registered trademark. However there are companies and internet domains named after it, like Civland Ltd, Jamaica, or civland.com, etc.
I have no idea of what legal concerns this might lead to, but I guess that since we aren't a commercial entity and we don't interfere with anybody's business, using the civland.org domain shouldn't give us any trouble.

I have already registered the top-nice civland.org domain, just in case :D

Edit: Civland is not trademarked. [fixed link]
Last edited by Davide on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Davide

Postby monamipierrot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:37 am

what about "CivLeague"? (in both the sense of 1."league of different civilizations" and 2."game tournament" or pop. "federation that organize it")
Or also "FreeCivLeague"? (again: 1."league of FREE civilizations"; 2."tournament of FreeCiv")
(Yes I know, there are no tournament currently running but LongTurn had something similar, and GreatTurn will have one, I bet)
Another one: UCO.org (United Civilizations Organization). The domain is owned and on sale. Don' t know the price, though!
Some more: CivChallenge, CivLegacy
Of course, being the best "ClashOfCivilization(s).org", but you should ask the permission to the old (and dead) ClashOfCivilization open-source game.
monamipierrot

Postby zielmicha » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Maybe civhq.org - Civlization HeadQuarters (like winehq, spelling is easy civ-h-q)? It's not registered and doesn't google to anything. Registering domain with name of a company is asking for trouble.
zielmicha
Android developer

Postby Davide » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:35 pm

That Jamaican company is just a small local business without even a domain name. Luckily there are no trademark concerns, as I was worried for. I don't see any problem at all with the new Civland name; beside, I like it :)
Also I think it's a "strong" name, remarkable, and users should find it easy to quickly type on a few fingertip strokes - it's just 6 letters.
I don't think it'd be appropriate to use the "HQ" expression as that might appear as a direct offence to freeciv.org.

Well, Civland.org already points to this forum.. I think the transition to the new domain name can begin in a week from now and eventually will last about a year, when the freeciv-mundi.org DNS will cease to exist.

Let me know :)
Davide

Postby monamipierrot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:49 am

so you made your mind. Good
I insist in changing the name "GreatTurn" which I don't like at all. My proposal about CivLeague (or FreecivLeague) could still be an appropriate name. Or any other except GT :P
monamipierrot

Postby JenniferPhillips » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:40 am

I guess, one can't face any problem regarding the usage of trademarked entity until use it for some commercial business purpose.If in anyway the trademarked entity is benefiting the hirer and also exploiting the image of the real owner,the rights will be snatched from the person.Click to see PATENT USA
JenniferPhillips

Postby Grendel » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:03 pm

I happen to like the name Greatturn. greatturn.org would be the most intuitive site address. This is the place to play Greatturn --> greatturn.org. Longturn --> longturn.org. Freeciv --> freeciv.org. Civland does not seem to appear anywhere on the website.

I guess it also depends on your long term plans for the website. Right now it appears to have two aspects, the forums and Greatturn (and the forums are there mainly to discuss Greatturn). If you have other things in mind civland might be a better name.

But I do like "civland". It has a nice ring to it, just not as intuitive as "greatturn", and I have no strong preference either way. =)
"Our words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!" —Gandhi
Grendel

Return to General discussion