Accounts e-mail HP

Web server upgraded

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Web server upgraded

Postby Davide » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Partly thanks to all the donations received from our closest fellows, I've upgraded the website server with a way faster VPS for a special offer proposed by my standing provider. I spent really little for the upgrade, and the server running all the web content such as the forum and the Greatturn website is 20 times faster, at least on paper.

I think you happened to notice some slowdowns at times, when the pages could take several moments to load. Well, from now on we got a huge boost of the kind that even common navigation thru the websites will be more responsive.

Smooth browsing :D
Davide

Re: Web server upgraded

Postby monamipierrot » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

Davide wrote:Greatturn website is 20 times faster, at least on paper.

I only use paper in toilet. Am I supposed to notice the difference? :D

BTW, GT01 is down now.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Davide » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:43 pm

There have been some power grid outages this morning at the server and I found the latest savefile of GT01 to be corrupted and unloadable (retarded disk flush interrupted by outage, I suppose).
The game has resumed with a foldback of 10 minutes; however some outages could still occur.

The website speedup is slightly noticeable on regular navigation, but that's not what really matters. The upgrade was made to prevent those heavy slowdowns which used to occur sometimes, getting the site difficult to use.
Davide

Postby Major Nimrod » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:57 pm

GT01 seems to be re-started? WTF !

Might want to double-check that save game file again :lol:
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Davide » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:01 pm

I found out that the latest two savefiles where corrupted, not just the latest one. I cleared those files so the game is now folded back by 20 minutes. The timeout has been recharged.
Davide

Return to General discussion