Accounts e-mail HP

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Postby Davide » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:16 am

Hey guys!

Very few users have an avatar image here on forum.. I wonder why?
They are cool and add some "mysterious" personality to the user and make the site cooler for visitors 8-)
I increased the max size to 25 KB... I think that's a lot for a small image ;)

Oh, and even bots have an avatar :D follow they example!

Hi! I am GT-Bot
And I am the replay bot   : D
Davide

Re: Avatars!

Postby morphles » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:16 am

Replay bot looks mighty awesome ;)
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Major Nimrod » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Danger... Danger Will Robinson ! :lol:

(For those of you who are unaware of that internet meme reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Will_Robinson)
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Major Nimrod » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:09 pm

I came across a new avatar the other day. It belongs to user "Grendel". For the record, it is very nice!

Here is a look at it at the moment:

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (70.78 KiB) Viewed 5797 times

Where does that picture come from? It seems so familiar...

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Grendel » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:48 pm

It is the cover of the D&D Basic Set, with art by the amazing Erol Otus. His art has a cool 3D look to it, reminds me of claymation.

Just a thought, maybe one of the reasons people don't often choose avatars is that they appear on the right, instead of on the left. Appearing on the right, they are less noticeable and come across as "extra stuff I don't especially need to look at" whereas on the left it is more like "this person with this name and this look is speaking...". Well, that's my impression anyway.
"Our words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!" —Gandhi
Grendel

Postby Davide » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Would it be preferable to have avatars and user info on the left side, instead? This modification wouldn't require much work on the template for me.

I too have the idea that stuff on the right side of the screen is less important. In fact I appreciate message's text being on the left... but maybe I'm vainly speculating.
Davide

Postby XYZ » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:06 pm

I think it is good the way it is since I'm interested in the message someone has to tell and not in his avatar.
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby monamipierrot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:26 pm

Grendel wrote:Just a thought, maybe one of the reasons people don't often choose avatars is that they appear on the right, instead of on the left.

WTF, now I can see your avatars! With a 1600 wide screen I would never ever noticed them!
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Major Nimrod » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:30 pm

Grendel wrote:It is the cover of the D&D Basic Set, with art by the amazing Erol Otus. His art has a cool 3D look to it, reminds me of claymation.

Cool ! I knew that I had seen it before, somewhere. Late 70s or early 80s, correct? Original D&D and 1st Edition AD&D had the best art work (unlike later editions, which for some reason deteriorated into ridiculous japanese anime manga).

Here's a great article that you'll undoubtedly appreciate: http://dungeonsmaster.com/2009/11/the-art-of-dnd-part-1/

I rolled an 18... does my Spot check detect a fellow roll player? If so, today is DM Appreciation Day (March 5th) ... show the love :D

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Grendel » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Davide wrote:Would it be preferable to have avatars and user info on the left side, instead?

Slight preference for seeing the avatars on the left I guess, but perhaps not as wide, the width of two avatars or so?

Major Nimrod wrote:I rolled an 18... does my Spot check detect a fellow roll player?

Yup, all around gamer geek here. Funny how you called it "roll player". =) Not a bad article. I think the art takes itself a little too seriously these days. In the old days covers could be a little goofy, now they almost always have to show the big bad warrior with a huge sword fighting the monstrous evil thing. The original books even had comics in them (Will McLean in part 3 of that series of articles). Erol Otus, Jeff Dee, Jim Holloway, Phil Foglio... all had a bit of goofiness to their artwork.

Another great art site: http://index.rpg.net/display-search.pht ... e=pictures
"Our words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!" —Gandhi
Grendel

Next

Return to General discussion