Accounts e-mail HP

Cracked hinge metal brackets in my Acer Extensa 5620z

Good arguments you'd like to present and discuss, even if not related to Freeciv.

Cracked hinge metal brackets in my Acer Extensa 5620z

Postby Davide » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:47 am

For some reason, this Extensa 5620z notebook happens to be my main computer for regular use and development. Today, after 6 years of heavy-duty usage (I do mean heavy) and mechanical wearing, the lid finally decided to do what I was expecting since a long time ago: break and fall apart.

It didn't literally fall into the ground, because it was still retained attached by a few electric cables, but yes all the mechanical parts to keep it attached were gone and the lid was kinda dangling.

P280314_23.17.jpg
Both lid hinges shot down.

Background:
The lid internally is surrounded by a light-metal (aluminum?) frame which runs around the screen edges and this is the only mechanical structure inside the lid. This frame then is fixed to the two hinges on the bottom, which are also metallic (strong, heavy-duty steel).

So?
As I found out to be a common defect with all the Acers in the Extensa series, the light aluminum frame cracked, leaving the lid disjointed from the hinges and hence free to fall down. That is, the steel hinges are so heavy and friction-ful in these models that they crack the frame, especially after years of usage when their lubricant dries and they harden even more.

I gotta fix it.
New frame brackets on eBay and other bays where kinda expensive (€15 each, x2) for what they actually are (they are nothing.. just an aluminum plate cut in shape), so I fixed it in-house, in my computer hospital.

I found a spare tick steel plate around, fitted for the job. By this point the images will continue the narration.

P280314_23.15.jpg
Broken hinge, front
P290314_02.08.jpg
The hospital.
Lid disassembled for repair.
P290314_02.08_[02].jpg
"New" steel plate in its role as a corner frame prosthesis.
I dare break this.
P290314_02.09.jpg
Notebook on its feet again.
Davide

Re: Cracked hinge metal brackets in my Acer Extensa 5620z

Postby Holmes » Thu May 26, 2016 3:09 pm

Hello, Davide,

Very helpful tutorial and very promising result. I bet it still works just fine.

I am just curious as to how you managed to fix the metal plate to the back of the screen. There doesn't seem to be enough metal back there to pierce through. So how did you pull that one off?

My laptop's screen has even less metal to work with and it's almost impossible to apply your method but i sure as hell am going to give it a few shots.

Thanks,
Bog
Holmes

Return to Alternative