A bigger GT means more matches, more players, more people dedicated at expanding/customizing new rulesets. It also means more thinkers proposing valuable ideas, and more developers.
The top factors which determined the growth of GT up to this point are (in order of efficacy)
- Users' word of mouth (posts on forums, blogs, etc)
- Initial announces that the project was complete and ready to use
- Propaganda messages on gaming servers listed in meta
- My direct communication to users
- Social networks share buttons on GT homepage (Facebook, Twitter, Google+)
At this point the growth of GT relies almost exclusively upon these mediums.
The growth rate is falling down to a level of stabilization. Less and less new users will join GT over time by this step. I don't have digitized charts to show.
Suggestions would be really appreciated.