Accounts e-mail HP

Hex tiles implications

Anything about Greatturn in general, not related to a specific match.

Re: Hex tiles implications

Postby kevin55I » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:16 pm

Amplio2Hexbig is available for FreeCiv 2.4.2
Download it using the modpack tool.
kevin55I

Postby ifaesfu » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:05 pm

I click on "Install modpack", but I can't find the amplio2hexbig tileset. I think it isn't installed in the data directory, as one would manually do. The thing is that I don't see the tileset in the option menu of the game either.
ifaesfu

Postby Major Nimrod » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:11 pm

I can confirm that it's not showing up in the list of available tilesets to choose from in a local client.

Here are the particulars of my tests:

1) Downloaded tileset from Modpack installer on a 2.4.1 client (freeciv client is OFF)
2) Started new local game with default rules.
3) Attempted to change tileset by opening local client options, graphics tab
4) Selected drop-down list for Tilesets... "amplio2hexbig" doesn't show up in list at all

Verified that all other tilesets show up (including hex). The modpack downloads into the "User\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.freeciv\2.4" directory for the user profile (in Win7). This behaviour is by design as other downloads also end up there as well (as opposed to the "Program Files\Freeciv\Data" directory).

Moved the files from the user directory to the Data directory (main program files). Tried the test again: same result.

Took a quick peak at the contents of the tilespec file. Looks ok, but I don't have much experience editing them so couldn't spot the error.
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Davide » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:33 pm

@ Nimrod: what's the content of "User\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.freeciv\2.4", just after you download the tileset via Modpack? If possible, list the directories recursively.
Davide

Postby ifaesfu » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:20 pm

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming contains the file .freeciv-client-rc-2.4

The content of C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.freeciv\2.4 is \.control (which is empty), \amplio2hexbig and a file called amplio2hexbig.tilespec.

\amplio2hexbig has:
amplio2hexbig.png

I've copied the directory and the tilespec file in "\freeciv\data" too and it doesn't appear in the list of available tilesets after starting a new game either.
ifaesfu

Postby Davide » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Do you get any errors on console?
In Windows, from the commands prompt, try:
Code: Select all
freeciv-gtk3 --tiles amplio2hexbig

Freeciv will show up, and then launch a single-player game; if anything will go wrong, you should catch a descriptive error on console.
Davide

Postby Major Nimrod » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Yes, I was in a rush and didn't have a chance to test calling the client with the switches for forcing a particular ruleset.

To answer Davide's question, the files located under .\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.freeciv\2.4\ are :

Capture.PNG
Directory Listing

Those are all mods that I've downloaded directly from the Modpack Installer. They all work fine. Amplio is even my default tileset ;)

As for calling the client and forcing the tileset option with switches, I just tried that and it didn't work. No error messages. Instead the client launched nicely, but instead of the amplio2hexbig tileset, it loaded the regular amplio2 tileset.

I wonder if renaming the tileset to hexamplio2big might work... it's a hunch. Going to give it a try. Stay tuned!

Edit:

Just renamed all the necessary files to "hexamplio2big". Also renamed any references from amplio2hexbig to hexamplio2big in all the text files (.tilespec, .spec) located in the subdirectories. Same exact behavior: tileset doesn't show in list of available tilesets, and trying to force it to launch from shortcut with switches brings up the amplio2 tileset instead.

Très étrange ! :?
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby ifaesfu » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Hey! I have already got the amplio2hexbig tileset. As I said, the one downloaded from the modpack didn't appear in the list of available tilesets.
I even copied it to the data directory of freeciv in windows 7.

It is working now after downloading the tileset in the 2 parts that I found in http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... =205#p1201
I don't know what is the difference. I had to merge the files into one directory called amplio2hexbig.

I took a look and now hex games can be played in freeciv, at least for me. I don't know if there will be many errors in the graphics using this tileset, but its appearance is very good.

Well, I was looking for differences between the directories called amplio2hexbig and I've just found that the one from the Modpack lacks 2 files: units and units.spec
ifaesfu

Postby monamipierrot » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:16 pm

ifaesfu wrote:I took a look and now hex games can be played in freeciv, at least for me. I don't know if there will be many errors in the graphics using this tileset, but its appearance is very good.

I think it is beautiful and perfectly usable, althou some roads are not very clear. I still prefer much the hex2t, as you know. IMHO it is more clean and easier to use.

HOwever, with this new ampliohexbig tileset there are 3 issues:
1. It can only be used with HEX-ISO maps (and not with HEX-NonISO maps, such as GT02)
2. If we set a game with HEX-ISO map, this tileset is the only viable option, cause ISO-HEX tileset is ugly and unclear. So, you can't choose, and with small displays (<1200x800) this new tileset is impossible to use cause you can't play seeing only 30-40 tiles in one glance.*
3. Many registered players will not bother download it and install it when they discover they don't like iso-hex tileset. They will just idle.

* when I played most of my LT and GT games I played with a 1920x1200 screen (yep!) and sometimes I felt I couldn't see enough tiles for a decent strategic view even with Trident tileset (maybe the smallest ever).
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Davide » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks ifaesfu, I reported the bug at Gna.
Davide

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion