Accounts e-mail HP

(In)frequently asked questions

Anything about Greatturn in general, not related to a specific match.

(In)frequently asked questions

Postby Corbeau » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:03 pm

A few:

1. What happens to units when you disband a city? I read somewhere that they get assigned to the nearest city, but I'm not sure if this applies to any ruleset (and does it actually depend on the ruleset)?

2. Suppose players A, B and C are all in mutual alliances. Then A and B go to war. C can't be in alliance with both because they are at war. What happens to the alliances?

3. Just checking, in case something changed since the last time I played FreeCiv: city area is always the same, right? No expanding city radius as city grows? (I recall some kind of growth in Civ3.)
Corbeau

Re: (In)frequently asked questions

Postby morphles » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:36 am

1. Is easy to test, units get owned by city that is closes to deconstructed city.

2. IIRC game does not protest to war declaration and nothing happens for the time being. But you'll break alliance and go to war with attacking player when he makes offensive move, as by definition he attacked your ally (if my first statement is not correct expect to break alliance with player declaring war).

3. If you mean work tiles on most rulesets it is constant (the one I'm working on it won't have it constant though, also that can be easily added to any ruleset), Civ 3 did not grow that area IIRC, and I played quite a bit of it. If however you talk about borders, Civ3 had them grow by culture (borders also provided vision; freeciv has option for that too). On freeciv it is ruleset dependent, borders can also be turned off altogether. On default ruleset borders do not expand IIRC, but start with ridiculous radius of 7... civ2civ3 has more reasonable approach, borders depend on city size (at least up to certain level).
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Some more questions:

1. What is the defence bonus of a fortified/unfortified unit in a city? I heard conflicting information, didn't find anything definite in the manual, so better to ask.

2. Did I get it right that the amount of time needed to build a trench/fortress does *not* depend on the type of terrain it is being built on? Would seem illogical, but that's what comes out of information I found in the manual.
Corbeau

Postby Grendel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:21 am

1. +50%

2. Yes.
"Our words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!" —Gandhi
Grendel

Postby ifaesfu » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 pm

I've always heard that there is no difference if fortified or not inside a city.
ifaesfu

Postby Major Nimrod » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Same here. I still have the habit of fortifying some units, just in case (superstition?) but I agree that it's hard to say whether it really matters. A definitive answer would be nice, once and for all :)
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Corbeau » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

Ok, I've been playing this for two months and only now I realise that Pikemen are not 1/2 with a bonus against fast units as they were a while ago... When did this change happen? Is there a file somewhere listing diferences between original Civs and this (and between previous versions and this one) or do I really have to check the manual for every single thing?
Corbeau

Postby ifaesfu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:08 pm

It depends on the ruleset. Pikemen have lost their bonus against mounted units in latest version of civ2civ3. They still have that bonus in default ruleset.
ifaesfu

Postby Major Nimrod » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:21 pm

There is a README file in the file directory where the Civ2Civ3 ruleset is installed on your machine.

Open it up in your favorite editor and check out the units. Differences are indicated for the most part. Pikemen get an extra point of defense (up to 3 from 2) and possibly an attack bonus of 1 (up to 2 from 1).

GT09 is using a slightly older version of the Civ2Civ3 ruleset, which I can put up here if need be. There are some differences between the most current version (from this April) and the one in use on GT09.
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Corbeau » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Best of all, I actually read the README and I probably missed that...

Bah, ignore me, I'm just pissed... It'll pass...
Corbeau

Next

Return to General discussion