Accounts e-mail HP

can i help?

Suggest new features you wish to see in the next version. Report bugs.

can i help?

Postby handyandrew » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:27 pm

I was just wondering some details about the development of Freeciv for Android. A lot of people seem to dislike the AI in the version, and I was wondering if I could offer my services, even though I'm not really sure how much of a help I could be. I'm going to start tweaking with 2.4.2 source on my Mint 16 box... just to get a feel for the backend....

I just wanted to start a topic that was kind of like a "help wanted" for Freeciv... except in reverse... :)

I wanna help! Tell me how! :)

-Andrew

p.s. - i have some skill programming, but my REAL talents lie in visual design, so if there's a GUI/IDE for civ's appearance, that would be a great place to start. I KNOW i could make this game look like a million bucks, even though it's free... :)
handyandrew

Re: can i help?

Postby Davide » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:27 pm

Don't tell me you are Andrew Robbins?! :D
The graphical interface for the Android port is a heavy modification of the original GTK3 for the desktop version.
Most of the UI goes by as a mosaic composition of static PNG tiles which are laid down on the screen upon somewhat five layers of stacking: from the bottommost ground layer which covers all the visible area, to units, cities, and terrain resources on the upper levels.

You can get a much more technical explanation from Zieliński (email on link) who is the sole author of Freeciv for Android.
Davide

Re: can i help?

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:32 am

Not to hijack this tthread but the android version needs a way to change fthe tileset.

Return to Development