Accounts e-mail HP

Under new mangement

New releases, projects, multiplayer games, etc.

Under new mangement

Postby admin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Hello all,
After a prolonged absence, I'm happy to announce that Civland.org has been brought back under the benevolent dictatorship of the Grime. Greatturn is still down for the moment, but will be reinstated fairly soon. For now, operations should continue as they had previously. The board and future Greatturn will now have dedicated bandwidth and their own dedicated server, so look for larger games. Please have a look around and note if anything is missing or not quite right.

Thanks,
Matt (aka the Grime)
admin
Site Admin

Re: Under new mangement

Postby Major Nimrod » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Fantastic news, indeed !

Three cheers for Matt !

Hip hip, hooray! :D
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Lord P » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:51 am

Awesome! Good news, but on the other hand it has been great to see how energised LT has been by the influx of new players after GT closed.
It would be better for everyone if both groups could join forces and cooperate instead of competing.
(This website, the diverse range of different GT games and the login via metaserver are better, but LT has some excellent long time players and v dedicated admins. Please work together not against each other! )
Lord P

Postby thegrime » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:55 am

I'd like to see that too, but I'm not sure where to start. I'll reach out and contact the LongTurn admins to see what we can work out. Ideally I'd like to see the ability to connect via the web interface as well.
--= the Grime =--

That is all.
thegrime

Postby ifaesfu » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Great news, this site is a reference for any player who likes freeciv.
ifaesfu

Postby thegrime » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:23 am

Well, the initial contact with LongTurn's admins did not go well. My best efforts were met with indifference at best, hostility at worst. Too bad..

In other news, the email system should be up and working again, so if you've forgotten your password you will now receive a reset email if you request it.
--= the Grime =--

That is all.
thegrime

Postby kevin55I » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:44 am

Congrats on restoring this website. There is a lot of useful material here. If Maho ever reads this he should be ashamed for letting the original longturn website disappear. I have no problem with continuing multiple freeciv projects and sites for now. Consolidation is great when it happens but can take a very long time. An example being the merging of multiplayer warserver code into freeciv proper. Sooner or later I hope the longturn code will also merge. For now am looking forward to playing Game of Thrones again sometime.
kevin55I

Postby Corbeau » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Kudos and then some more kudos :) Let's continue :)

About the LongTurn admins, yeah, there is some dry vibe in the air there. Can't say anyone is hostile or anything, but.... it's just a feeling :)

Not that you bozos here are cream of the crop, but nevertheless :P
Corbeau

Postby XYZ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:28 pm

In one clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=242H7F8DKHA

People are not really cooperative over there... :D

Is it maybe possible to merge the greatturn page design with the longturn infrastructure? Call me superficial but I simply don't like the whole longturn page.
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby thegrime » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:06 pm

As they say, once you're an alcoholic, you're always an alcoholic, whether you're dry or not. The same principle holds here :).

Welcome back everyone!

Ostensibly I have all the in-progress games that were cut-off. I'm not sure what state they're in or what I'll need to do to restore GT. That's my task for this coming week.
--= the Grime =--

That is all.
thegrime

Next

Return to Announcements