Accounts e-mail HP

Forum bugs spotting

New releases, projects, multiplayer games, etc.

Forum bugs spotting

Postby Davide » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:26 pm

I migrated the database of this forum from SQLite to mySQL, taking a major and invasive refactoring at the underlying data, which required to be split in pieces and reinserted in the new database layout.
Generally, attempting this move on a forum like this (phpBB) often results in an immediate failure of the board or in some kind or data corruption; however, after some testing things seem to be working fine all around here.

I've checked all the major functions of the forum, and they work. If you spot a bug or any weird behavior drop a note and I'll look to fix it.
Davide

Re: Forum bugs spotting

Postby ifaesfu » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:55 pm

So that's the reason I couldn't load this forum last late night!
I guess the regular server shown in the metaserver has been down since last night because of that upgrade too.
ifaesfu

Postby Major Nimrod » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:44 pm

Issue accessing the forum about an hour ago. Working now, however. No problems so far, just had to log back in.
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Davide » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:47 pm

@ ifaesfu
The servers under the domain freeciv-debian.ns0.it are completely independent from civland.org, so they're happening to be down for another different issue. I'll check them lather.
Instead, the greatturn.org servers listed on meta do depend upon civland.org, because their DNS name is provided by civland.org. If civland.org should go offline, greatturn.org would become unreachable too, causing the GT game servers to be listed on meta with a different name. (they wouldn't go offline, anyway).

@ Nimrod
Yes I'm upgrading the server OS and many services went down during the setup; some even required bugfixing as the upgrade introduced one bug in each of three specific software packages. Namely, it's been at least 4 years that Debian has got a broken zoneinfo file for Rome and San Marino, which nobody has yet reported upstream for fixing, and which results in the system clock being skewed, in turn causing network cryptography to stop working (no SSL, no Bind9, hence no DNS). Beside that, the network daemon also stopped working after the upgrade, because one of the source files of the daemon (/etc/init.d/networking) was missing to create an essential directory during the bootstrap (mkdir /run/network/). Then PHP5 had his troubles too.

But anyway, for what concerns civland.org I'm expecting everything to function well from now on, hence any anomalies should be reported.
Davide

Postby Corbeau unlogged » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:12 am

Can't log in since last night. Haven't tried the "I forgot my password" option because the last time I tried it, it opened the Gates of Hell.
Corbeau unlogged

Postby Corbeau » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Hmm... Managed to log in from a comp at workplace... Don't move, I'll try something when I get home again...
Corbeau

Postby morphles » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:24 pm

Interesting and cool that the server was runing on sqlite! Why did you switch?
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Davide » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:49 pm

morphles wrote:Interesting and cool that the server was runing on sqlite! Why did you switch?

SQLite was a choice aimed at simplicity when the forum was first set up, in 2012. Now, for an unrelated project, I happen to need what's called "native fulltext search" with InnoDB in MySQL, which is only available by version 5.6 of MySQL. This server had 5.5; to upgrade MySQL to 5.6 I also had to upgrade a lot of "dependencies", thus the simplest approach was to upgrade the whole Debian OS from version 6 to 7 which, among the other software, would have indirectly upgraded the PHP interpreter from version 5.1 to 5.3; between these two versions, php5-cgi loses backward compatibility with SQLite2 databases (the kind previously used by this forum), so the whole OS upgrade wasn't feasible if the forum remained with SQLite.
Davide

Postby morphles » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:15 am

You could have used sqlite 3 :) sqilite 2 is like super old AFAIK.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Davide » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:53 pm

morphles wrote:You could have used sqlite 3 :) sqilite 2 is like super old AFAIK.

I could have even switched from SQLite2 to 3 in order to upgrade the OS, which is way more straightforward than switching to MySQL, but phpBB is totally incompatible with SQLite3.
Davide

Return to Announcements