Accounts e-mail HP

questions

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!

questions

Postby just a guest » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:14 am

I have some questions...

Does anyone still play Freeciv?

And, I read somewhere that players with poor latency are at a huge disadvantage. Is that true? What kind of latency do people need to play online with other people?
just a guest

Re: questions

Postby just a guest » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:28 am

Sorry, I didn't look around enough before posting that first question. It looked kind of inactive at first glance, but some people still seem to be playing.
just a guest

Postby Davide » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:44 pm

just a guest wrote:[...] but some people still seem to be playing.

Indeed! You'll find people especially during european evenings / nights since most of the players are from europe / america.

just a guest wrote:And, I read somewhere that players with poor latency are at a huge disadvantage. Is that true? What kind of latency do people need to play online with other people?

Freeciv is not one of those "first person shooter", but yes, it's still an online game and horrible latency has its effects. Personally, I think that even a bad connection with 200ms of latency can go unnoticed when you play. Different story is if, from time to time, it disconnects, too.
Davide

Postby just a guest » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Does it affect other players games when one player starts lagging? Our internet at home gets really bad latency issues sometimes.
just a guest

Postby Davide » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:09 pm

It affects only the player behind the lagging line.
Davide

Postby just a guest » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 pm

ok, thanks. :)
just a guest

Postby just a guest » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:17 am

Is there a way to just watch one of the multiplayer matches without actually playing in it? If there is, do you think anyone would mind if I watched?
just a guest

Postby Davide » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:24 am

just a guest wrote:Is there a way to just watch one of the multiplayer matches without actually playing in it?

Yes! enter the dedicated section of forum and you'll see both the replay video and the data chart. (However it's been reported that Google Chrome isn't able to correctly decode the video)

just a guest wrote:If there is, do you think anyone would mind if I watched?

I wouldn't mind :P
Davide

Postby just a guest » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:32 am

Sorry, I meant is it possible to watch it live while they are playing it?

Thanks for pointing out the video and data chart thing though.
just a guest

Postby Davide » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:42 am

Yes, after you connect to a server, type "/observe" - if the match has already started, your Freeciv client opens up the game view for watching, otherwise you are put in a "waiting list" until the game starts.
Davide

Next

Return to Multiplayer / Online gaming