Accounts e-mail HP

Global warming/nuclear winter as a central theme?

a Voyage in men's Utopia

Global warming/nuclear winter as a central theme?

Postby morphles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:08 pm

This is not really a suggestion for this game, though I'd guess it could be arranged, but just some thoughts on future games.

In gt6, we are having serious global warming effects, like a lot, dunno maybe thats usual in human games, but never before have I seen so much effect (palying other civ games or freeciv with ais, maybe also because with ais I dont have that patience). But what can I say, I find it awesome! :) And for some time now I though about certain "scenarios"/settings (nor pre made maps, though can be).

With slightly adjusted ruleset (to be fair it might no be that slight, but still...) it should be possible to have something like - deglaciation. Game starts with most of land under glaciers and de frosts over time reavling all the usual stuff (if someone thinks that there is no way to controll such things, I think there is ;) ). Or maybe reverse: coming of an Ice age. Or even start with normal map and just have global warming flooding stuff and similar, lets call it coming of dinosour age! (as planet was warmer those times).

What do you guys think about such a setting's?
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Re: Global warming/nuclear winter as a central theme?

Postby morphles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Ok so I was toying around with rulesets, and although there is no global setting for global warming one can hack arround that. That would be create terrain that would have uncleanable pollutions (thousands of turns for cleaning, incredible movement cost), and place polution there using editor. Warming rate coudl be adjusted by choosing such number of squares. how this should work: create a buch of additional terrains that would look identical, like glacier, but would hide different terrains underneath, and also possibly modify transition rules for existing terrains. And revers if we are going with cooling, but then multiplied terrain would be ocean, and it would dry up to reveal land. (there might still be issues though).

If anyone would be interested to try such ruleset (against ais), to basially observe rate of change and how the result and gameplay looks, I could then dedicate some time more seriously and try to create something workable in a week. You just have to choose warming or cooling:)

Also I would most probably need to generate map, since it requires special tweeking, or I could describe thowse tweaks, it's mostly just temperature setting anyway.

Is there any interest?
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Davide » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:56 pm

What about cooling and heating distinct sides of the planet at the same time :P that would provide for even more geodiversity and an extreme challenge to human survival :D
I have no idea how this may be going to look like, nor how you can actually produce such a scenario, but if you could put in place a quick draft just to give a preview, probably you would attract more interest 8-)

I haven't understood why the terrains need to be cloned and their properties diversified.. is that just to push more chaos down to Earth and punish humans for being such? :lol:

Edit: Ho yes I got it: that would allow for different terrain transitions during the severe planetary wearing. Though probably you would need to name such "cloned" terrains with distinctive names, such as glacer1, glacer2, thus removing the surprise effect.
Davide

Postby morphles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 pm

I did a test run, by observin bots, and it seems things... dont work exactly as expected. I generated map with 20k tiles, and created 25 pouluted tiles, at first polution rate was positive, and chance for global warming rose, rose and then it hit like a ton of bricks, chaning lots of terrain. Then it reset to 0, and sadly pollution rate also reset to 0, so I had to add more polution. This means there needs to be a patch with option ether for ruleset or server option for constant/base global warming/nuclear winter chance. Though I'd guess its doable.

As for adding terrains - freeciv currently has it that terrain can change only into two different things, when warming (and two more for cooling) depending on wetness of surroundings. This is not good/not realistic for melting of ice age scenario, as all the glaciers would reveal tundra, which when would become desert, well on the shores it would be a bit different, but thats it, nether forrests nor mountains nor hill would ever appear from under glacier. Thus you clone galcier, change warming result for this copy, adjust it's wetness, greenness, mountainess according to result, so that generator would generate something, what would look like normaly generated map after defrost (though not exactly) though how much "normaly" it would look would very much depend. But anyways the point is that there needs to be more variaty what happens when warming(cooling) hits. Since by default rules are to basically create bad stuff on warmin, as in to discourage pollution.

Another thing I norice is that rulesets can have lua scripts! havent looked much at them, will have to lookup documentation and if does not exit possibly source to see what can be done, maybe one could simply trigger warming from lua script on certain turns. It also very interesing what does lua scripting allow overall, it might be that it can allow some crazy awesome stuff! :)

Edit: I see you got the reason. But no, you can choose identical display names! :) only data values have to be different. Ofc if someone wants he probably can hack client to extract them, but maybe people wont do that :D
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby morphles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:12 pm

So turns out my muckign with polution is useles, as you can trigger warming/cooling from lua, with desired magnitude (tiles affected). Only have to find how to trigger stuff on turn end. Terrain addition/modification still needed though.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby morphles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:43 pm

So forced/permanent warming/cooling (or both!) ar very doable(with fully controlled rate, can easily be made accelerating or decelaring, or maybe warming for 100 turns cooling for 100, whatever! :) ), with 4 lines of lua, so only thing thats needed is alterring terran setup in good way. Which should be quite doable, so If have nothing better to do I'll to create something in weaks time. Prepare for a change! Climate change that is :)
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Mary D. Black » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:10 am

According to certain number of studies, nuclear power is an important part of the solution to global warming. Since global warming has become a big issue, in collaboration with particular instances, this problem must be solved: http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/global-warming-argumentative-essay.
Mary D. Black

Return to GT09