Map morphology

a Voyage in men's Utopia

Map morphology

Postby XYZ » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:59 pm

To not start another poll, here some ideas:

(Ancient Greece with low tech)
Attachments
Antikes Griechenland.png
Last edited by XYZ on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Re: Map

Postby XYZ » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:01 pm

To recycle a proposal from the last GT:

(colonial Africa: few cities, little infrastructure and tribes already in place)
Attachments
Colonial_Africa_1913_map.svg.png
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby XYZ » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Planet of the pinguins!
Attachments
488px-Antarctica_Karte.png
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Major Nimrod » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Penguins... hilarious ! :mrgreen:

But seriously, I like both the ancient Mediterranean and colonial African maps :D
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Davide » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Magna Grecia and Phoenicia.. appealing!
We could also include northern portions of Algeria, Tunisia and Mesopotamia too. Anyway, an only-Greece map is also cool, with countless minor islands and a geographically featureful peninsula. Focusing the scope of the map area exclusively into Greece would also make the archipelago islands relatively big and usable.
The mapper program could create such a map.
Davide

Postby XYZ » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:57 pm

We could also include northern portions of Algeria, Tunisia and Mesopotamia too
Sure!

What about local tribes, infrastructure? I liked the idea with the Natives in North America though their technological disadvantage was absolutely right -keeps you busy at the beginning without endangering your existance- their empire size could have been shuffled more. For example, the Inca Empire could have stretched all along the South American west coast. But I guess Ancient Greece would level the tech difference and I don't think we want to fight big ai empires with sticks and stones. Any ideas/suggestions how to make the map more interesting? Don't hesitate to visualize your ideas!
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby NMSM87 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:53 pm

I think we should have a XV or XVI century map or the colonial africa one

Thanks
NMSM87

Postby morphles » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:46 pm

My opinion - random map is the best map :) I see that in general GT comunity has quite high facination with premade maps and scenarios. Somehow this is weird to me. I like fresh starts and emergence, with emergent conditions and setting. Though some minor twists are interesting, but something like WW scenarios are quite alien to me.

Now battling AI might not be that bad, though. Maybe something "civil war against empire" "scenario"/setting, (though starting with tons of techs also is not my thing), we would have one very large bot, having most of the land, and humans starting with one two cities or settlers in remote places/periphery of said empire. So that while humans will need to fight each other they will also need to take on empire together or be crushed by it. There are flaws with this of course, ai must be made tottaly human unfriendly (though I do not think anything needs to change, as in general bots are quite hard to befriend), and ai can be a bit dim thus not pose enough of a threat. OTOH ais love military units and sending waves of them.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby NMSM-PT » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:37 am

Hi mates, i guess a random one will be nice, and as the mate above describes it.

It would be very challenging!

Thanks
NMSM-PT

Return to GT09