Accounts e-mail HP

Timeout: 82800?

a Voyage in men's Utopia

Timeout: 82800?

Postby Corbeau » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:27 pm

Is there any particular reason for this? Having a end-of-turn moment that changes over the days may add to confusion.
Corbeau

Re: Timeout: 82800?

Postby Davide » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:18 am

I have asked myself the question a couple of times a while ago [1, 2].
While there isn't any paperwork doctrine behind the decision of having 23-h timeouts, the common consensus seems to be that cutting 1 hour off the solar day allows the (crucial) turn-change instants to evenly rotate around the Earth's timezones and equitably "touch" every player.
There's been a lot of discussion here, but especially on longturn, about the influence that the turn-change itself has on the gameplay, so fairly distributing it across the timezones seems a good choice.
Davide

Postby morphles » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:13 am

I tottaly agree. Could be 25 hours for what its worth, but definetly not 24. Turn change is important and when it is in some parts of the day you feel how it would be much nicer if it would be in the others. Best for me is something like 3 hours past work end; worst probably something close to early morning as then I can nether move shortly before or after change. So it's only fair if turn change drifts.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:26 am

Interesting. I actually wouldn't mind if it was during my sleep hours so that I can have a whole day to inspect, plan and move in peace.

An additional problem is that ten-hour lockdown for units; basically, I have a six-hour window when I can play undisturbed, every other time involves a degree of fuss. So, a problem may occur if turn ends at 18:00. Come from work at 17:00, move (assuming I wasn't able to move the previous day which will occur sooner or later) and then I can't move unites that day anymore. Instead, I have to squeeze that move in the worst hour of the day, between waking up and running to work.

About the turn length, I'd rather have it at really *any*time of day than move around. But ok, if it's a general consensus, fine.
Corbeau

Postby morphles » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:50 am

An additional problem is that ten-hour lockdown for units; basically, I have a six-hour window when I can play undisturbed, every other time involves a degree of fuss. So, a problem may occur if turn ends at 18:00. Come from work at 17:00, move (assuming I wasn't able to move the previous day which will occur sooner or later) and then I can't move unites that day anymore. Instead, I have to squeeze that move in the worst hour of the day, between waking up and running to work.

And so this will only be a problem occasionally, and realistically does not matter much. Much more often will be the case where you would want to do some "machination" by moving units just before turn end en then immediatly after, which is exactly what this tries to prevent, and it's a good thing. Though I do not know what was prevented with this against me, I know that it prevented me from doing quite unfair stuff some times, and thats as it should be. This is not your browser based time sucking mmo game which awards sitting endless hours in game (they have such annoying shit like- this building finishes in 20 minutes, then you can start another one! no thanks that is stupid). Besides I do not know if you know: theres a limit of 4 hours per turn you can be connected to game, so there is no whole day for thinking, at least not while observing situation of the game. (which I sometimes think might be too large, I'd almost think that 2 hours would suffice, but reallisticly this isin't something I'm sure about)

I think you should play first and then comment on such stuff. This might seem like a big deal but when you play it matters a little. Only times I though about that is when - oh man possible attacks might be incoming and turn switches at night thats no good. Or oh nice I can take this territory faster (build city) cause turn change is on a very good time for me. In the end it ends up being a minor luck factor and there is no problem with that (well realistically you can plan your attacks so that battles would start to occur as turn change is in the right time of day for you, but maybe it would also be the case for your enemy? or maybe someone else will strike first! :) )

And believe me as you have not played game, any time is not better than shifting moving.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:57 pm

Oh, I understand the need for such a limit and I think it is actually a great idea. Only, ten hours???

Also, why the four-hour online limit? Ok, I'm pretty sure it won't pose a problem most of the time. But what is the reasoning behind it?
Corbeau

Postby ifaesfu » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:19 pm

Corbeau wrote:Oh, I understand the need for such a limit and I think it is actually a great idea. Only, ten hours???

Also, why the four-hour online limit? Ok, I'm pretty sure it won't pose a problem most of the time. But what is the reasoning behind it?

Yes, 10 hours. It intends to give some time to the other player to respond to any movement. It prevents any player from being able to move safely their units to the desired position for an attack (just before the turn change) and then attack (just after the turn change).

For the 4 hours online see viewtopic.php?f=26&t=378 and one of many debates about this: http://forum.longturn.org/viewtopic.php?id=159
ifaesfu

Postby Corbeau » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Huh, thanks, that makes sense :)

Is it only my impression or is Greatturn a sort of a disgruntled Longturn spinoff? :)
Corbeau

Postby Major Nimrod » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:03 pm

It's nice to see former Longturn players make the switch, but many of us have been here over at Greatturn since the very beginnings. And of those players (myself included) we've never had any affiliation to Longturn.
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby ifaesfu » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Corbeau wrote:Is it only my impression or is Greatturn a sort of a disgruntled Longturn spinoff? :)

No, some players play both of them (me). Greatturn is another option to play this game if you haven't got so much time.
I like much more the way Greatturn looks like and the way you can take part in the game through the polls.
Anyway, I see Longturn as a more "professional" place, not by the web page or the servers, in fact, I think Greatturn's are better, but because of the players that play the games.
They have many hard settings which are untouchable: no trade routes and trenchs (pre-fortress) for example. Others that are becoming standard as limited alliance sizes to be able to declare yourself as a winner, the use of techloss, etc. Also there are some players who can make patches to try to improve the game. The bad side of it is that there are a lot of players exploiting any bug or trick they can find. This game has lots of tricks that can be done without breaking any code, just playing, but also spoiling the matches.
ifaesfu

Next

Return to GT09