Accounts e-mail HP

Looking for administrator

a Voyage in men's Utopia

Looking for administrator

Postby Davide » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Who wishes to be administrator of GT09?

This person will be able to shape GT09 beneath his judgment, tightly along the line of users' consensus.
Administrator will have access to the web panel, which exposes the naked freeciv-server command line and the mass-email mailer, and will be able to autonomously customize every parameter of GT09 such as server settings, ruleset and start date.

I'm looking for one or two guys. An administrator isn't required to do extraordinary things - he just needs to have (or formulate) a good picture of the match configuration and understand what the users' preferences are (expressed via polls or topics).

Then I will sit back and let the admin(s) liberate their inspiration and lead GT09. Of course I will provide full support and will manage everything else.
Davide

Re: Looking for administrator

Postby Davide » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:22 pm

These are the administrators of past GT games:

Serveradmin0admin1admin2
GT01monamipierrot  
GT05Nimroddavide 
GT06davideNimrod 
GT07NimroddavideXYZ
GT08davide  
Davide

Postby morphles » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:30 pm

I havent though much about that, but there is a chance that I could do that at least a bit :) Being admin does not preclude one from playing game I hope? Hopefully someone like Nimrod could come in and help too :)
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Davide » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:49 pm

That's a good question to point out.
An administrator can perfectly be a player of the same game he manages. Being administrator just provides access to the control panel, which doesn't leak any private information nor gives advantages; it is only a medium to manage the server.
Davide

Postby Captain Clown » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:34 am

First-time player here, really enjoying GT08…

I'm a little green regarding Freeciv servers, but I'll take on some admin responsibilities and learn on the job if needed.
Captain Clown

Postby Major Nimrod » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:45 pm

As you can see, I've administered my fair share of games before. Played in almost all of them. Like Davide says, there's no real advantage while in game to being able to run commands at the console. In fact, I can count on 2 hands the total number of commands that I've issued. There's no possibility of cheating because everything shows up in the server logs. So if someone has an objection, it can easily go up to Davide who will adjudicate the dispute.

Anyhow, all to say that I'd like someone else to try their hand at being the "primary" administrator for GT09. I don't mind being a secondary, or backup, to provide support if there are any questions or need of providing advice. It's a cool experience, and gives a better understanding of how things work "behind the scenes". A little experience runnings commands in a freeciv client console is probably a prerequisite, though.
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Return to GT09