Accounts e-mail HP

Attack movement

a Voyage in men's Utopia

Attack movement

Postby monamipierrot » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:21 am

I noticed that in Civ2Civ3 ruleset when you kill opponent in an attack, you also MOVE to its tile. I don't know the purpose of this new rule. The cahnge may:
- Put it harder to defend borders, cause attackers could gain advantage moving one turn ahead AND maybe (to be confirmed) avoid ZOC. Giving current move/sight settings, this would be too much IMHO.
- Annoy many players which are just used to the old setting (attacking unit stay still and lose 1mp)
I propose to open a poll about disabling this features. I think the poll could be closed AFETR the beginning of the game cause there will be still no military units around.
Please give your opinion.
The poll should be
"Disable move after attack?"
-Yes (attacker stay in his tile after succesful attack, as in common rulesets and Civ tradition)
-No (attacker will automatically move to the tile it attacked, if possible)
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Re: Attack movement

Postby Major Nimrod » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:49 pm

Hmmm, not to sound like a doubting Thomas, but I don't seem to recall seeing this behaviour in the many Civ2Civ3 games that I've played. I'll be on the lookout in the current roundup of games to see if that's the case. Anyone else also notice this? Or is it just a product of the 2x movement rule?
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby monamipierrot » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Major Nimrod wrote:Anyone else also notice this? Or is it just a product of the 2x movement rule?

I tested it in a normal game downloading civ2civ3 for freeciv 2.4 without any movement multiplier. It is like this, for me. No doubt.
monamipierrot

Postby morphles » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:01 pm

I think this comes from "civ3" part of the ruleset, that is from game known for it's "stacks of doom" as it did not have stack death.Though those settings are not strictly related, in my mind thei kinda are. First time I played freeciv I though stack death - what a dumb idea wth. Now I'm the opposite. And as these two are settings somehow related in my head (seriously I do not know why, at least yet) I liken attack move to no stack death, and thus I do not like attack move. I is possible that they seem close because they are both basically attacker advantage no stack death means you can chave ridiculously concentrated invading force which severly hinders defence; while atatck move is basically free move allowing more penetaration for attacker, and allowing auto distribution of units on attack, by unstacking attacking unit, thus requiring counter attack that targets two tiles instead of one.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby monamipierrot » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:42 pm

killstack is OFF? very bad.
monamipierrot

Postby Davide » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:04 am

monamipierrot wrote:killstack is OFF? very bad.

It is ON. Search for the string "[combat_rules]" inside game.ruleset.
Davide

Postby bardo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:11 pm

The rule to move the attacker to the target tile was one of the main changes in my latest version of civ2civ3 rules, and you are right that I should have explained the reasons. I have tried to explain it in this post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=614&p=3872#p3872

You use in GT a modified version of the ruleset, and I know that little changes to the server settings could affect a lot the resultant strategies, specially rules related to unit movement, so I'm not sure how this rule will work in GT, but I find it important to enable it if infrastructure is restricted and you find it too hard to reach enemy cities.

I agree kill stack is one of the most important rules to keep the balance of the combat in freeciv. I never liked that civ3 removed it.
bardo
Author of Civ2Civ3

Return to GT09