Accounts e-mail HP

README (Settings of GT09)

a Voyage in men's Utopia

Re: README (Settings of GT09)

Postby Captain Clown » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:29 pm

What excactly does "1" mean in Corruption/Waste by Distance row? I'm
assuming it doesn't mean that a city 5 tiles away from the capital produces 5
shields less?

This part of the README bugged me for a long time for its lack of an example, but I believe I've figured it out. Unless you've studied the ruleset code, the answer is probably not what you expect.

Code: Select all
                  Anarch   Tribal   Despot   Monarc   Fundam   Republ   Democr
Federat  Commun   
Base Corruption   0%       30%      20%      10%      15%      25%      5%
0%       30%     
Corrup by Dist *  1        1        1        1        1        1        1
0        0       
Base Waste        30%      0%       10%      20%      15%      5%       25%
30%      0%       
Waste by Dist **  1        1        1        1        1        1        1
0        0       

* Corruption by Distance is increased by 1 until The Corporation is researched by the player.
** Waste by Distance is increased by 1 until Trade is researched by the player.

Take Despotism as an example. Your capital, which has distance 0 to the palace, will have the lowest possible waste and corruption, and it will lose 1 out of every 5 trade bars (corruption == 20%) and 1 out of every 10 shields (waste == 10%). This is the base level of corruption and waste.

A city that is 5 tiles away—and this is measured as 5 movement points away, not Manhattan distance, just as citymindist is measured—will add 5 percentage points to both corruption and waste (1 point per movement), assuming you have researched both The Corporation and Trade. So if you have both those techs, the city will suffer 25% corruption (20% base + 5% distance) and 15% waste (10% base + 5% distance). If you lack The Corporation then corruption will increase by an additional 1 percentage point per movement—i.e., the city will suffer 30% trade loss (20% base + 10% distance). If you lack Trade then your waste will increase by an additional 1 percentage point per movement—i.e., the city will suffer 20% shield loss (10% base + 10% distance). This is what's meant by the “[corruption/waste] is increased by 1 until [tech is researched].”

Keep in mind that corruption and waste calculations are rounded down. For example, a city with 15% waste will lose at a rate of 3 out of every 20 shields (15%), netting 6 out of 6, 6 out of 7, 7 out of 8, …, 12 out of 13, 12 out of 14, 13 out of 15, …, 17 out of 19, 17 out of 20, ….

There's also food loss and the Courthouse.

Code: Select all
- Courthouse: Make_Content = 1, and reduces to half any kind of waste (trade, shields or food).
Added new effect: food wasted by distance to Palace = -1% food each 2 tiles.
For example, cities at distance 20 of the Palace lose -10% food (-5% with courthouse), so they lose -1 food when their production reaches 10 food per turn (20 food per turn with courthouse), noticeable when city reaches size 5 or so (around city size 10 with courthouse).

This part of the README is misleading. Yes, there really is 1% food waste for each 2 distance. Yes, a Courthouse reduces waste of any kind by 2x. However, a Courthouse reduces the final amount, not the percentage used in the initial calculation. This matters because of how rounding is calculated. For example, a city without a Courthouse that's 20 tiles away from the palace will suffer 10% food waste (20 / 2 → 10%). If the city is producing 10 food gross, then net production will be 9 ((10 - (10*10%)) == (10 - 1) == 9). If the city has a Courthouse, food waste is still at 10%, not 5% as the README says, and the final calculation adds a divide-by-2, rounded up. Ergo, net food production would still be 9 ((10 - ((10*10%) / 2)) == (10 - (1/2)) == (10 - 1) == 9. Because of the rounded-up division, the Courthouse isn't quite as good as advertised. Basically, you must lose at least 2 units of something (e.g., 2 units of food) before the Courthouse will yield an efficiency benefit.
Captain Clown

Postby morphles » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:37 pm

I do not have much time now to check number or source, though one thing in particular stands out:

not Manhattan distance, just as citymindist is measured

Have you checked that in source? As you can not just base it on city min dists, since IIRC trade min dist is calculated using Manhattan distance and not chess distance.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Could you stop talking in codes, please? :P So, regarding corruption, what is the distance between (2,2) and (4,4)? 2 or 4? Also, mentioning "movement points", does it mean that corruption is reduced if you build roads? (I never thought of it before, but it would make absolutely perfect sense.)
Corbeau

Postby morphles » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:18 pm

No roads definetly have no effect currently. there is manhatan and king/chess distance for square grids, and there is just distance for hex.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:21 pm

morphles wrote:there is manhatan and king/chess distance for square grids

So which one is in effect?
Corbeau

Postby Captain Clown » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Morphles, Yes I've checked it. The function city_waste in common/city.c calculates distance using the real_map_distance function.

To clarify:

“Real” distance, which I miscalled “movement” distance in my previous post, is the shortest distance between two tiles whereby diagonals count the same as non-diagonals.

Manhattan distance, which is a real-world term, refers to the shortest distance between two tiles whereby diagonals count as two hops, not one.

Neither distance is affected by roads, cities, units, etc. They're “as the crow flies” measurements, assuming the crow is always unimpeded.

Trade distance is indeed calculated by Manhattan distance. Corruption and waste are not.
Captain Clown

Postby Corbeau » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Captain Clown wrote:Neither distance is affected by roads, cities, units, etc. They're “as the crow flies” measurements, assuming the crow is always unimpeded.

So, in other words, the same as an unladen swallow?

(Sorry, couldn't resist :D)
Corbeau

Postby Major Nimrod » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:34 pm

An unladen African swallow, of course ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2R3FvS4xr4

"You have to know these things when you're a King these days, you know?" - King Arthur :lol:
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Corbeau » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Just checking, an attack spends one movement point, right? Meaning, horsemen can attack four times during a turn?
Corbeau

Postby Corbeau » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Anyone?
Corbeau

PreviousNext

Return to GT09