Accounts e-mail HP

Idlers

a Voyage in men's Utopia

Idlers

Postby monamipierrot » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:47 pm

Watching the F3 windows, it looks like there are 0 idlers. Is the idler count correct, or - as always - buggy?
I case it is buggy:
- how many idlers are there?
- is there any way to fix once-and-for-all that idling turn count?
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Re: Idlers

Postby Davide » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:57 pm

Hey mona,

that client-side counter has never worked, and it still does not. It should get fixed by the guys behind freeciv.org.
As for an idlers counter specific to Greatturn, you can check it via the my games section of the website: by holding the mouse pointer upon an username or his flag, a small tooltip text will appear, telling the last turn when the user connected. 'T0' means a player did connect during turn 0 or during the pre-game period, when the game still wasn't started. 'T-1' (minus 1) means a player has never, ever connected.

At the moment we have 5 users who have never connected (T-1), and still 3 users who have connected only during T0, but still haven't taken their T1. (Turn 1 is still not over at the time I'm typing)

On the other hand, 20 players have taken their T1.
Davide

Postby Davide » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:22 am

I have personally contacted each of the 5 "total" idlers, to try to understand what motivated them to drop out.
I'm still waiting for their replies; hopefully, I'll collect some clues, whether there's something they disliked about Greatturn, or anything. I'll see if I can do something to make the game more suitable to them too.

Another idler I contacted earlier - which now has joined up the match by turn 1 - missed his first turn because he thought Greatturn was a browser-based game and he couldn't find the link to get into the match. This seems to me like we are missing to provide players with the most basic information. But, also, when he downloaded the client and finally entered into the right server after my instructions, he couldn't find the way to enter his password, even if the server was correctly asking for it the way we are used to. He fluently spoke English.

If I can get more clues from the other 5 idlers, maybe we could get a general idea of what's wrong with GT that yields to idlers.
Davide

Postby Corbeau » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 am

I'd say it's human nature. There will always be idlers. People walk out even on more important things, and this, in the end, is just a game.

I'd never do it, at least not without an explanation (unless something really drastic happened), but in the end, it's only a side-hobby.
Corbeau

Postby morphles » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:55 am

While I agree with you Corbeau, I still highly applaud Davide for his more rigorious approach and for trying to tackle this problem!
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:11 pm

Of course, that goes without saying (which doesn't mean it shouldn't be said ;)). I'm just pointing out a fact why nobody should be frustrated if efforts fail.
Corbeau

Postby NMSM87 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:01 pm

One more idler down, i already joined the match.

:)

I'm a first timer here, so where can i ask for some help regarding diplomacy?

Sorry if it' not in the right place.

Thanks in advance
NMSM87

Postby Corbeau » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Any question you ask here will probably be answered :) If you want to contact other players, you can do it in-game through chat, only place a ":" after their name (and it doesn't even have to be a full name) it will be a private message.

For example

Corb: Hello

Also, you can probably send a PM through this forum, but first you may want to check if the person is active here.
Corbeau

Postby monamipierrot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Diplomacy: In GT09, the official client-based diplomacy (where you can ask for oficial treaties, interchange money/city/tech and stuff...) can be triggered ONLY with an embassy. As the 1st embassy between 2 players can only be estabilish with a diplomat (or spy), there's no way to have oficial diplomacy until one of the players discover Alphabet. [Note that trading cities is also disabled in GT09]
Still, a parallel "unoficial" diplomacy can go on, e.g. in private chat, in privee forums, or even by a Cold-War-style red telephone line, if you have one :P
This way you will not be able to exchange any "goods", of course.
Beware of abusing diplomacy: it could leak many details to enemies. Remember that diplomacy and intelligence are the two sides of the same coin; but the side you will always need, is the latter.
monamipierrot

Postby monamipierrot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Davide wrote:If I can get more clues from the other 5 idlers, maybe we could get a general idea of what's wrong with GT that yields to idlers.

My opinion: in the Greatturn homepage (http://civland.org/greatturn/) there's no reference to what Freeciv is, no reverence to Civilization at all, and there's not even a link to Freeciv download or homepage :shock: . I understand that the reason is that if someone doesn't know what is Freeciv, it could be almost pointless that he wants to play Greatturn, cause it is quite hard to get the pace if you don't even know what Freeciv is.
But for that same reason, you may want to "scare" potentially idling players. We all still want that the idler Davide "rescued" can join and participate without much pain. At least he did try to connect.

Uh, by the way: expect a +1000% players the same day Greatturn will be web-based! :P
monamipierrot

Next

Return to GT09