Accounts e-mail HP

Utopian News Channel - DISCUSSION

a Voyage in men's Utopia

Utopian News Channel - DISCUSSION

Postby Corbeau » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Post moved to the Utopian News channel  –  Corbeau & Davide
Last edited by Davide on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Headline link to news channel
Corbeau

Re: Utopian News Channel

Postby Major Nimrod » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Gotta say, I really enjoyed reading your news report. Very creative and original. Looking forward to more reports! :D
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby morphles » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Although this is very nice to read, it reveals very large ammount of information!
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Captain Clown » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:32 pm

As Warren Buffet said:

I want employees to ask themselves whether they are willing to have any contemplated act appear the next day on the front page of their local paper, to be read by their spouses, children, and friends, with the reporting done by an informed and critical reporter.

For those of us whose civs are near Corbeau's, that applies nearly literally.

I liked the first post and thought it was cute, but I wish to see no more of these posts until after the game concludes. If only there were another forum to post such information, one that keeps the data hidden until the game concludes…
Captain Clown

Postby monamipierrot » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:48 pm

Great thread. Of course, we don't believe a word of your tales, accurately studied to disorient other players. But we will keep reading them with amusement!
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Re: Utopian News Channel - DISCUSSION

Postby Corbeau » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Gentlemen, a few things.

Firstly, it seems you're forgetting that this is a game where people are supposed to have fun. It seems someone is taking all this a bit too serious for a clown.

Secondly, regarding "giving away information", I believe I am capable of distinguishing between relevant/harmful information and that which isn't. And if I do make a mistake of giving out too much, I'll be the one suffering from it, no?

Thirdly, I can't believe that so many people neglected such an important part of a multiplayer Civilization as propaganda. Monamipierrot is thinking in the right direction, however...

(Fourth...ly...) ... Utopian News Service refuses and condemns all allegations that it is in any way distorting truth, as has been recently suggested by a certain leader in his public communique. We have been proud of our professional and objective reporting tradition that started centuries ago, since the discovery of Alphabet, and we plan to provide our readers with accurate and unbiased information regarding events that we manage to observe. Naturally, we are not responsible if some governments choose to bend the truth a little bit, or completely twist it, nor do we care if some governments are dissatisfied with the fact that their actions they believed to be hidden are being reported to the public. Ours is just to inform, not to judge or support any side; we will leave this to our readers.
Corbeau

Postby Corbeau » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Also, I haven't thanked for all the praise I received here and via private channels. So, thank you :)

Also (2), I would like the original UNC be left for news themselves and out-of-character discussion being done anywhere else. Also (3), I think it would be great if other people joined in that channel and offered their in-character view of events, whether in the form of news reports or official communiques or anything in-character.

If anyone is uncertain of his word-modelling capabilities, I offer myself for copyediting service. Simply send me a PM with raw version of what you want published, and I'll send you back an embellished version of it ready for publication ;)
Corbeau

Postby monamipierrot » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Corbeau wrote:If anyone is uncertain of his word-modelling capabilities, I offer myself for copyediting service. Simply send me a PM with raw version of what you want published, and I'll send you back an embellished version of it ready for publication ;)

-uh, can you please embellish this official press-release of mine?:
"IN THE END, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE, AND IT WILL BE ME!!! HA HA HA!" [follows: beheading of all present journalists]
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby morphles » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:20 pm

You naive if you can filter all the information properly. Yes there is some fun factor, and your writing is quite entertaining, I'll give you that. But it might bite you in the ass so to speak (though I would gess those in your vicinity will get beating first, as people might find your news channel usefull :)).
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Captain Clown » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 pm

I agree with Morphles. It's impossible to know what will or won't be important knowledge, now or at some time in the future. Perhaps your biggest giveaway is that you've identified who your neighbors are, which allows players not in the vicinity to start piecing together a map a little easier and cheaper. Maybe that will matter, maybe it won't.

If I were a player on another continent, I would encourage you to continue with your reporting.
Captain Clown

Next

Return to GT09