Yes, heightmap generator
No votes
No
13%

Total votes : 8

Re: Random map?

Postby morphles » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Monami is spreading misonformation :)

"placement=two per continent" has precisely 0 effect on fractal generation, I know since I checked the source. Only placement that affects fractal generator is "one per continent", the effect is rather simple, and results in crazynes if number of players a "largeish" for map size, it basically "scales map 'features' down". If we intend to go with smaller (and thus more) features, which I think is nice, I suggest setting players to at most 5, and placement to one player per continent. Bear in mind that placed starting positions are very likely to be completly stupid;) So manual placement will be a must. Though I have little objection with generating random map with standart placement, and just erasing any land/shallow water bridges that would give certain plaers an advantage (or simply choosing map where there are no such issues).
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby monamipierrot » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:22 pm

This is the ideal scenario, but requires more work for Davide, cause he has to manually place 20+ players.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Corbeau » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:11 pm

A n00b question: does this mean that the "map chooser" gets to see the map beore everybody else?

(I have no problem with it, I'm here for the fun; just curious if there is some technically advanced method that I'm not aware of :))
Corbeau

Postby Davide » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:42 pm

I've generated a batch of 10 random maps which feature all the settings which have been discussed on forum to date. I've picked the "best" one, which is kinda nice and strategic to me.
Most of the maps in the batch were kinda meaningless, lacking a strategic configuration. These are the low-level maps of the batch. Then, there are those maps which are a midway between the "meaningless" and the "meaningful", which have been chosen for the preview picture below. These are not that bad, but also not very comfortable or strategic to play on, but yet they give a vague idea of how the mastermap could look like. Just, imagine the features of these mediocre maps combined together, and mentally correct those ugliness immediately visible at first sight, such as that too large blob of land lacking topological features (corner region of the bottom-left map), or that internal sea which is a little too large to hold its full strategic potential (upper-left map). The outcome you're imagining might closely look like the mastermap.

Overheads.jpg
Overhead of some rejected maps generated in the batch

The size is 21500, computed as 250 * players / landmass * 100. The formula proposed by monamipierrot would have resulted in a larger map (26000), which I thought to be unnecessarily larger.
Davide

Postby monamipierrot » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:57 pm

They seem all interesting to me. So I bet the chosen one will be great.
But don't give us more spoilers, Davide.
Just curious: when will you play a match?
One more thing: someone should solve a very small issue resulting in a annoying problem:the oveviewl map show s Swamp with a color that looks much more like ocean than any other kind of terrain. One can't have a glance of coast shape. It would be just a matter of selecting a greener color!
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Major Nimrod » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:57 pm

monamipierrot wrote:Just curious: when will you play a match?

Yes, when ideed ? :mrgreen:
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Previous

Return to Polls