Poll ended at Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:51 pm

Favorable
78%
Contrary
22%

Total votes : 9

Meetings only after you make an embassy

Postby ifaesfu » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:51 pm

We should make a bit harder to allow to make a meeting with another nation.
One can make it just having contacted with default settings. If this poll passes, a player will need to establish an embassy to be able to make treaties and have information (points, goverment, contacts).

/set contactturns 0
ifaesfu

Re: Meetings only after you make an embassy

Postby morphles » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:56 am

Again no allied victory. Even though this options is quite interesting for me, I'm still much more inclined to test how no allied vicotry alone impacts gameplay.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:38 am

Most important: it's realistic and you basically don't *need* to meet with civilizations you are not in contact with. You want contact? Send explorers.
Corbeau

Postby morphles » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:44 am

Explorers wont give you contact. Only building diplomat and bringin it to players city and then using establish embasy action.
I like this because it gives much more use for diplomats, but I do not want this in this game. Also it does not prevent shady buisness when using private chat. So I'm againts this now, as said previously we have no allied victory for testing how it fairs agains the afformentioned "alliance "problems"".
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby ifaesfu » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:01 pm

There is a tech sharing orgy during the let's say first 25 turns of each match (it doesn't matter if you are allied or not), what I dislike. But it is all a matter of likes and dislikes.
ifaesfu

Postby morphles » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Using informal alliance I can share techs using 2 population on a city. Giving huge boost to the abusers. No diplomacy needed at all. Which is shadier tactics with better results for abusers. And again I want to seek how no allied victory playes :) I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, lets hope I'll be alright :)
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby ifaesfu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:52 am

morphles wrote:Using informal alliance I can share techs using 2 population on a city. Giving huge boost to the abusers. No diplomacy needed at all. Which is shadier tactics with better results for abusers. And again I want to seek how no allied victory playes :) I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, lets hope I'll be alright :)

You are right and that's why I like techloss. Anyway, it makes harder to be part of the orgy. Without this setting you only need an explorer to be able to share techs and all sort of information with many players in the first turns of the game.
It's cool not to have information about the diplomatic status of your neighbours neither their points, etc.
ifaesfu

Postby morphles » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:07 am

As I said it is interesting and nice setting, and would definetly favor it for next game. But I really want to se how no allied victory works with your "allaince problems" without other measures.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby monamipierrot » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:26 pm

morphles wrote:As I said it is interesting and nice setting, and would definetly favor it for next game. But I really want to se how no allied victory works with your "allaince problems" without other measures.

IMHO, there's an opposite way to face the "no allied victory" experiment: to use other settings that discourage alliances. If it does work and the game is fun and dinamic as you (and I) hope, then beginning from next game we can start to take away the other settings and see if the mechanics still works.
But I think that this setting (no alliance victory) ALONE will not have effect, maybe no effect at all. I strongly advice to reinforce it with this proposal (meetings only after you make embassy) AND why not try also disabling tech sharing altogether? :)
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Major Nimrod » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Again, I'm against any settings that minimize the benefits of alliances.

In this situation (GT09), having a game where there can be no allied victory means that any alliances will be temporary at best. Ultimately, these marriages of convenience will only last as long as necessary with the ultimate result being that the alliance will *have* to be broken, one way or another.

So, instituting measures to minimize the benefits of alliances only encourages players to adopt isolationist policies, instead of cooperating to achieve mutual goals. Part of the fun of playing online, in a multiplayer environment, is the teamwork aspect. Putting restrictions that minimize the benefits, especially in a game that won't allow an allied victory, encourages a lack of teamwork in my opinion. Yes there are still ways to cooperate with others, but it's a lot less fun and frankly newer players need to learn the lessons of proper teamwork and alliance cooperation. Otherwise we may as well be playing against the AI on expert setting. What's the fun in that?

Yes more experienced players will leverage the benefits to the max. But I put this onto you: perhaps veteran players should consider allying with lesser experienced players to teach them a thing or two. I'm glad that Monami taught me a thing or two during my first game when we allied together, and I'm more than happy to ally with lesser experienced players in this game (provided that it fits with my future strategic objectives, of course).

Food for thought!
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Next

Return to Polls