Poll ended at Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:12 am

Hexes
50%
Squares
50%

Total votes : 10

Hexes?

Postby Corbeau » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:12 am

Someone mentioned it and, seriously, why not?

Disclaimer: I'm new here; if there is a reason that this is impossible, I don't know it, but have a feeling that I'll soon find out :)
Corbeau

Re: Hexes?

Postby ifaesfu » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:14 am

:twisted:
ifaesfu

Postby BeckettTheIncompeten » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:09 am

I've always like hex just because of the 'simplier' movement, because you can't move sideways. It also gets rid of the exponentially growing number of shortest paths to a specific tile that is present with a grid map. This means that there is only one shortest path to each tile from the current.

Hex also makes 'blocking' a viable tactic. For instance if you got between an opponent and his target tile it would take 3 MPs to get around to the tile.
BeckettTheIncompeten

Postby monamipierrot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:52 pm

I do *love* hexes, not only for its strategical change of view, but also for the beauty of the world they draw: beautiful-shaped continents, rivers, roads, islands, peninsulas, istmuses, mountains, lakes and so on. With hexes it can't happen that a land unit cross the path of a ship (which can and uses to happen with squares), except for cities (the chance to build channel cities in istmuses is a HUGE add-on to hex-fractal-continent games with low landmass as this one)

HOWEVER there are many issues around this poll

1. It doesn't specify wether it is ISO or not. This would however be turned OFF because for iso hexes there's NO TILESET which actually WORKS properly. Only the hex2t tileset works (for NON-ISO hexes worlds), and is IMHO, the best tileset *ever*
2. Many people, as happened in GT02, would drop the game cause they simply don't like hexes.
3. Anyway this poll is somewhat illegal, cause Hexes game are to be stated in the beginning of the match creation. I.E. it is Davide who should decide "ok, let's start a hex match for GT10"
4. Althou everybody would love to play hexes, we know of cases in which there were no available tilesets in some installation. So we would need to double-check that everybody has hex2t installed and working.

I don't vote because I trust Davide will delete this post.
In any case I would recommend a almost impossible quorum (such ">50%" of confirmed players)
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Captain Clown » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Hexes sound great for strategy, but they look terrible in Freeciv. It's not just that the tilesets are ugly; I can't figure out how to get the city dialog to fit on my laptop screen. That's a showstopper, so I'm voting nay on this one.
Captain Clown

Postby monamipierrot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Captain Clown wrote:It's not just that the tilesets are ugly

Speaking about ugliness is speaking about beauty. So everybody is right and wrong at the same time.

For me, the most beautiful videogames were the text-based adventures in the early '80s. Everything was in my mind. Very beautiful, very sexy.
Then came the graphics and all those coders pretending to be artists and lots of ugly pixeled sprites. This turned me down a lot.
Then coders realized they were not artists, so... they hired artists, and gave them total control of games, so artists destroyed thousands of games by focusing exclusively on visual appealing. For me those "beautiful games" were as appealing as a beautiful *dead* woman is. [oops sorry, but this image gives the perfect idea]
Then came the touchsecreens and all traces of intelligence had been banned from videogames. And any appeal, to me.
Then came Freeciv, and I thought that beauty was functional to gameplay. Flat tilesets (trident and hex2t) are crystal clear and give you a perfect glance of were we are, who's around and what can be done. I don't need to shoot real time monsters so please don't even mimick 3D with Amplio tilesets in Freeciv, thanks! (The 1st thing I do when installing a new version of Freeciv is Option-Tilesets-"Trident"-save).
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Davide » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:34 pm

It'd be fine for me to have a hex game for GT09. However, what my experience tells is that, the last time we had hexes, many players had difficulties to recognize unit icons in the new tileset since they differ from Amplio2, the default. So, every unit will be drawn with a different sprite from what we're used to, and that will certainly be a problem for many newcomers.

Another difficulty is that a hex map requires the client to be appositely configured to use the correct (iso / non-iso) hex tileset, so every single user will need to be informed that we are on hexes; since part of the users "don't even know" (or don't care) that we have a forum, and the client doesn't inform users by itself, this will be a problem. As a remedy, we could popup a client-side info message when users connect to server.

As suggested by monamipierrot, setting a strong quorum holding this poll would at least ensure that most of our users will be informed on what they're going to play.

So yes, I request that at least 60% of the confirmed users will have voted to this poll by the date the results will be evaluated. I like to point out that most of the confirmed users generally show involvement in the forum, so the quorum won't be that hard to pass.
Davide

Postby Major Nimrod » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:44 pm

Uh Oh, it's Deja Vu all over again.

Needless to say, I know how I'm voting here ;)
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby morphles » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Here I stand with monami, hexes are best. And amplio is maybe a slighly prettier and much more civ3 like thus probably good to entice new players, but I find it inferior to trident. Which uses smaller tiles and thus allows seing much more. I would probably prefer even more abstract tileset, but trident is good.
Sadly it seems people do not like hexes. That is what defaults can do... It's very unfortunate that first civ games came in squares, well I think only fifth one got hexes, which is after freeciv I think:) So this must be advertized! Freeciv was there first, before Sid! Hexes are more modern! And freeciv did hexes before it was cool!
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Grendel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:14 pm

If people think the different looking units are really a problem it would not be too much trouble to alter the amplio2 units files and make them work for the hex tilesets.

I have dabbled in making a hex tileset, but it is a slow process (for me anyway). Also, there is a new hex tileset for Freeciv 2.5, sattelite hex (http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Tilesets). I think it looks great. I haven't looked closely at the files but I'm thinking it probably would not be too difficult to get the graphics files to work with Freeciv 2.4.
"Our words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!" —Gandhi
Grendel

Next

Return to Polls