Poll ended at Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:12 am

Hexes
50%
Squares
50%

Total votes : 10

Re: Hexes?

Postby monamipierrot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Grendel wrote:If people think the different looking units are really a problem it would not be too much trouble to alter the amplio2 units files and make them work for the hex tilesets.

I have dabbled in making a hex tileset, but it is a slow process (for me anyway). Also, there is a new hex tileset for Freeciv 2.5, sattelite hex (http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Tilesets). I think it looks great. I haven't looked closely at the files but I'm thinking it probably would not be too difficult to get the graphics files to work with Freeciv 2.4.

Great! Thanks for the effort! This would help spread the hex word around the globe (or donut, to be politically correct)
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby ifaesfu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:43 am

I wouldn't have any problem to play a hex map if the tileset were similar to amplio. Now it's very ugly and I can't stand seeing the screen for a long time when the tileset isn't amplio.
ifaesfu

Postby Corbeau » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:17 am

Like I said, I had a feeling there would be technical problems, that's why I wrote it in the first post. Basically, yes, people coming into the game need to have clear instructions how to actually connect to the hex game (I could use some myself, but I'm fine, I get around with tweaking with computer programmes) and since we have many people already joined, this new information would be lost to them. So, I would like to propose two things:

1. Void this poll. We play squares.
2. When NEXT game starts, make it a hex one, but announce it from the beginning, with clear instructions what to do and which tileset to use.
Corbeau

Postby monamipierrot » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:54 am

Corbeau wrote:So, I would like to propose two things:
1. Void this poll. We play squares.
2. When NEXT game starts, make it a hex one, but announce it from the beginning, with clear instructions what to do and which tileset to use.

Or, we fix a majority of 80% along with a 80% of quorum.
Highly improbable, but if it makes it, it means that 2/3 of players agreed on playing hexes.
About technichal problems, there could be none: people just need to know how to switch to the proper tileset once connected, so it is a problem of communication.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby morphles » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:55 am

Even though I really like hexes I have to agree with Corbeau here, it's not really good time to start configuring gt9 as hex game now. So that posibility should be postponed to later game.

Teasing remark for ifaesfu:
it seems you do not like allainces and like to play on your own to show how good you can play, if such is the case it seems weird that such player would concern himself with "how good" tiles look, after all for playing well clarity is all that matters (also wider field of view given by trident is a very good thing too).
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Grendel » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:22 am

monamipierrot wrote:1. It doesn't specify wether it is ISO or not. This would however be turned OFF because for iso hexes there's NO TILESET which actually WORKS properly. Only the hex2t tileset works (for NON-ISO hexes worlds), and is IMHO, the best tileset *ever*
2. Many people, as happened in GT02, would drop the game cause they simply don't like hexes.

1. What's wrong with isophex? It seems to work fine.
2. And then there are the players who drop the game because it isn't a hex game. ;)
"Our words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!" —Gandhi
Grendel

Postby Corbeau » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:14 am

Not really, because everybody expects a square game. Squares are default, hexes are an exception. But should be no problem if they are properly announced and explained how to utilise them.
Corbeau

Postby monami » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Grendel wrote:1. What's wrong with isophex? It seems to work fine.

No, it is ugly, unclear, and it gives incorrect map representation. Also, you can't use hex2t in iso worlds.
I can't remember on what exactly, but in GT02 we RESTARTED the game because it was ISO-HEX and impossible to play. The restart was NON-ISO+HEX and it went fine.
monami

Postby Major Nimrod » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Deja Vu ? :mrgreen:
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby ifaesfu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:53 am

morphles wrote:Teasing remark for ifaesfu:
it seems you do not like allainces and like to play on your own to show how good you can play, if such is the case it seems weird that such player would concern himself with "how good" tiles look, after all for playing well clarity is all that matters (also wider field of view given by trident is a very good thing too).

I know pro players use trident tileset, but I have tried some times to use it... but I don't distinguish the cities, the units nor the terrain. It isn't just a matter of beauty. In fact, I'm sure I lose a lot of units when there is a RTS action in the regular games of the metaserver, as trident tileset is faster than amplio one.
ifaesfu

PreviousNext

Return to Polls